nikasil

racer

my cheetas have nikasil coating,i don t think stock banshee jugs can be done ,set up for sleeves.it is expensive and there is a wait. versus a bore and new pistons if you have a meltdown.usually if you have a meltdown with nikasil you can wash off the melted piston with acid.i grenaded a piston at 111mph, piston was in 1,000 pieces. there was no scoring to the cylider,but a little piece of transfer port broke off.the nikasil company repaired that too.

Nikasil plating holds up to wear better than a cast iron sleeve. Nikasil usually is plated on an aluminum bore to give the wear resistance, yet the plating is very thin, and the heat can dissipate through the aluminum easily. As far as I know you can put nikasil plating on a cast iron sleeve, but that is senseless. Most snowmobiling technology went to aluminum/nikasil cylinders years ago, and performance is definately up. The expensive aftermarket cylinders of course are nikasiled. I have used the swain coating on my pistons and after 1,000 miles (1 month of snowmobile riding) the friction fighting coating on the piston skirts was still like it had never been run...very impressed. I am going to bore my banshee to the next size piston over this winter, and am definately going to get the piston coated from "Swain Coatings" like I did my sled.

Send Blue Deuce an email. He had his engine Nikasil treated and he has some crazy story about riding in the desert with no coolant or something crazy like that. I also think he mixes at over 120:1. Maybe I'm wrong but I remember someone doing that.