Lonestars are on.

sredish

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

is it lb/in or lb/ft? I thought he said lb/ft, but I may have been wrong

It is LB/IN (pounds per inch).

demon, eric told me they normally sell 'em for $30 to $40 depending on the spring, but I got a hookup

Cool!!! He did give you a deal.

the 5.1 spring I'm using now is a 285lb spring and the 5.4 he's sending is a 300lb.

For those who are wondering 5.1 and 5.4 are KG/MM to convert this to LB/IN multiply by 56 - EG: 5.1 KG/MM x 56 = 285.6LB/IN.

Looks good, you'll like the negative camber. Are you going to change to braided lines up front?

Are you going to change to braided lines up front?

Yes, I'm just a little ahead of myself. I'm actually on ebay right now looking for some. I don't want the kind with the two lines out of the master. Anyone know which brand I need to go with? There's a set of Lonestars for $85, and as always, ASR's for around $70. Then I'm gonna need some damn clamps.

:shootself: Why did I get myself into this? :confused:

I have Galfer lines, one out of the master into a "T" then two lines out.  I thought that all of lonestars were two seperate lines?

Yeah, both the Lonestars and ASRs are two lines. I'll get the Galfers ordered shortly

I went and rode and it's like I had a camaro yesterday and a ferrari today, I mean, the first corner I took, I leaned and gassed like normal and it handles so much better that I almost threw it in too strong of a powerslide and I cut it too much, like a 180. Once I got used to it, pretty quickly, all I had to do was ask it to take a corner and point it and it went there. The shocks felt really good, combination of the first time out with a stabilizer and the shocks being softer so they soak everything up.

Dunedemon, question for you. My "spring" knowledge is fairly limited. The shocks actually felt really good, softer but soaked up everything through 3rd and 4th, however, I didn't hit anything really big, just some moderate stuff. The problem that I know will come is like in the whoops, I'm sure there isn't going to be enough rebound to let me take it at speed. The question I want to ask you, and anybody else who can answer is, how much difference is there going to be between 285lb springs and 300lb springs? Before, it was definitely stiffer, but at speed it handled pretty good, probably could've used it a touch softer, is the added 15lbs going to tighten it up A LOT, or just some, but not a shitload. Also, he's just sending the main spring, so the small spring will still kinda be softer, so it'll probably still soak up the high speed straights a little better and the stiffer spring will hopefully be enough for the necessary rebound and all, I guess. :confused:

As far as the camber and caster, it felt awesome. tracked perfectly, took it out on the highway and it was straight, no pulling, and cornered like a totally new machine, totally awesome. I have about -8 degrees of camber, too much, but I can't figure out how to adjust it. Ok ok, I kind of know how. I was wanting more like -5 degrees. There is the lock nut on top and I can loosen that, but do I have to remove it from the ball joint just to rotate it back in or out, or am I totally missing something?

Alright, lots of reading there, I'll catch ya later.

Edited by sredish

yeah you either have to take spindle off, or undo the whole arm and spin in, what evers easier. I really like the JTs (i think) and the albas way of adjustment. The balljoint isnt threaded into the arm theres a nut on each side loosen on and tighten the other,

I really like the JTs (i think) and the albas way of adjustment. The balljoint isnt threaded into the arm theres a nut on each side loosen on and tighten the other,

that would be way easier to adjust but what a shitty design (if ive got it pictured right in my head). if the inner nut comes off youre fucked. wanna talk about crashes. damn, i cant even imagine what would happen if you lost your upper while rippin a dune. im thinkin that if that happens youre going to end up having more bones than you should. <_<

Dunedemon, question for you. My "spring" knowledge is fairly limited. The shocks actually felt really good, softer but soaked up everything through 3rd and 4th, however, I didn't hit anything really big, just some moderate stuff. The problem that I know will come is like in the whoops, I'm sure there isn't going to be enough rebound to let me take it at speed. The question I want to ask you, and anybody else who can answer is, how much difference is there going to be between 285lb springs and 300lb springs? Before, it was definitely stiffer, but at speed it handled pretty good, probably could've used it a touch softer, is the added 15lbs going to tighten it up A LOT, or just some, but not a shitload. Also, he's just sending the main spring, so the small spring will still kinda be softer, so it'll probably still soak up the high speed straights a little better and the stiffer spring will hopefully be enough for the necessary rebound and all, I guess. :confused:

The difference will be noticable but not HUGE, it helps to think of the change in a persentage. 15 lbs is enough aparently based on their valving and how the lonestars position the shocks (I assume Elka takes this into consideration when suggesting rate / valving changes) never the less, I imagine you'll be in good shape. It's important to keep in mind that although that spring is longer than the other one or two above it, it is the softest (rate) spring of the bunch, thus it greatly affects the "initial" spring rate but the "final" spring rate (controlled by the upper smaller spring(s)) remains un changed....Make sense???

BTW -8 deg of camber is a LOT, I prefer -3 to-4 myself, Galfer lines are great, you'll be hapy with them.

BTW -8 deg of camber is a LOT, I prefer -3 to-4 myself, Galfer lines are great, you'll be hapy with them.

Yeah, that shock stuff makes sense. I also feel that -8 is a bit much. I was gonna get her down to -4 or 3.5 and see how shee feels. I could tell just from inital ride how improved the handling was and how it almost seemed to lean into the corners. Can't wait to go for a long ride.