Extremely Hard to Start...

lfmer20

O.k., the problem I'm having is that my bike is extremely hard to start. Pretty much the only way it will start is if I flood it with carb. and choke cleaner. I just bought a brand new ignition coil, plugs, cleaned the carbs 5 times (taking every jet out of both carbs and the choke each time) cleaned the air filter and has a brand new wiseco top end in it. I've checked the spark...it's good, there is fuel getting to the carbs and i've checked for air leaks and the reeds ... all check out good. It seems like its a carb problem but I am positive the carbs are clean and every jet in them also . This problem has got me and everyone I know stomped, so I'm gonna see if you guys can pull me through this heartache . Now the bike is completely stock except for the top end but it is still stock bore. Once you get the bike running from the carb cleaner and it is warmed up, it will start and run great just like a new bike, it is just a pain in the ass to start when its cold. Please give me some ideas. :huh::shootself:

Thanks a lot...

I haven't tested the compression since I rebuilt it, but I used my finger to cover the plug holes and had someone kick it over and it pushed my finger off completely so I'm sure its good. Clymer's manual recommended doing that. As for using the choke, I use it every time I start it. It still doesn't work.

Make sure the choke tube is between the two carbs. Not having it will make it hard to start. Try to press the throttle in about 1/8 throttle and see if it will start. If you let go of the throttle and it stops running unplug the TORS system.

Make sure the choke tube is between the two carbs. Not having it will make it hard to start. Try to press the throttle in about 1/8 throttle and see if it will start. If you let go of the throttle and it stops running unplug the TORS system.

Also, this very problem you described (at idle it dies but will idle at 1/8 throttle) could also be the pilot jet is too small.

I've had both happen to me, and the first time it was the pilot, the second time was the TORS. lol....

Right now it's like 80 degrees. This problem started before the rebuild I'm also at around 250 feet above sea level. Maybe the pilot is too small, but why does it start easy once it's warmed up? Thanks for all the replies. Keep sending me ideas.

Mine did the same thing. I lost a ring on one cylinder. The compression was down to 120 from 145. I ran it until 100 then rebuilt. I haven't put the motor back in yet to see if it is fixed but I would definately check the compression with a guage.

If your float bowls get put on the wrong carbs it will be hard to start cold. There's a gold ring on the front of the float bowl that goes on the left carb.

This was my thinking as well. On the left carb, (the one with the fuel enrichment knob, or "choke" knob) there are two brass tubes in the float bowl. One is for the overflow, and the other draws fuel directly past the jets, and into the bore of the carb when you pull the knob. If the bowls are reversed, you ain't gonna draw anything when the knob is pulled out..... No matter how much beer you drink... :cheers: