welding

racer

How many of you guys can weld, and what types of machines do you use?

I prefer a lincoln mig, but i run flux-cored wire so i dont have to use the bottle on it.

Just post whatcha got.

Edited by therail

I've always been a miller user... but mostly what I do is sheet metal. I have the 140 amp miller and the bottle. I feel I get cleaner welds w/ the argon mix.

I weld heavier stuff as needed and this lil 110v/140a seems to fit my needs perfect

Sorry no pics here either.

Nothing fancy, stick only, 220VAC with a homemade rectifier to give 220VDC, 80amps maximum, the main circuit breaker to my house can't handle anything more. Pisses my wife off tremendously when I keep "blacking out" the household... :lol:

Miller Econotig. Works fantastic, but no liquid cooling on the torch... :cry: Airco 250 Migger, Clarke 110V gasless mig, (fluxcore), and a Lincoln SP-175T. I love that Lincoln. I use that quite frequently. The Airco is what handles the larger business..... Clarke in a pinch, and the Miller when I need something Tig'd of course.....

For overall welding (especially for a slight beginner), what would you recommend? Within a year or so I'd like to get my own. Too many projects/toys to not have one. My dad has a wirefeed one with a big tank of Stargon, pretty sure. Would like something to do just light to medium stuff overall, and with the capability to weld aluminum if possible.

Well, Nate my man, Aluminum requires almost a dedicated machine. Too many contaminants and aggravation switching back and forth between steel and aluminum. Unless you get a good size Tig. I have welded aluminum with the econotig, with good results, but it's not the prettiest looking thing. Aluminum requires ALOT of power. Now, for the everyday person, a nice 175 amp 220 volt gas shielded, MIG welder will do the trick. I love, and recommend VERY HIGHLY the Lincoln SP 175. It is a fantastic, easy to use machine. I can't say enough good things about it. More likely than not, if your ol' man has a wire fed, gas shielded welder, he is using a Carbon dioxide/ argon mix. Straight Argon will run on a TIG machine on steel. There are a slew of different shielding gasses to use on different materials. But, that's another story for another day. An argon/CO2 mix will do you splendid on just about anything you need to do in the garage...... I would have your aluminm pieces welded at a reputable shop. The required equipment is a bit pricey.... When you pick up your welding unit, be sure, (if it is a wire fed) that you pick up some extra tips, and some anti-spatter spray. They should throw in the tips for nothin. If they don't I would walk out. But, I don't know how many welding outfits you can purchase a welder from in your area..... B)

Now, for the everyday person, a nice 175 amp 220 volt gas shielded, MIG welder will do the trick. I love, and recommend VERY HIGHLY the Lincoln SP 175. It is a fantastic, easy to use machine. I can't say enough good things about it.

That's about the same thing I'm using and I love it. My wife got it for me for christmas. It is 220v and kicks ass with gas.

I've had several welding jobs. I work at a place that makes custom prefabbed buildings (big buildings). Everything is miller, which is the way I like it. I usually run about 29.5 - 30.5 volts. and anywhere from 380ipm to 435ipm on wire. But these guns we use are bad ass, they have smoke eaters built into them, and a high/low switch on them. Which can change your voltage and wire speed at the flip of a switch. (example) High 29.5/380, Low 25.0/330. So when you weld out of postion or weld on thinner material you can just flip the switch to low and there are no worries about burn through. Bad thing about the gun is that its huge. After welding with one of these guns, goimg back to a normal gun makes you feel like your holding a toy.

I have a cheap mig setup with a bottle of pure argon. Welding aluminum with this setup sucks. I should have saved up a few more bones for a tig setup. I also have a Victor Super Range oxy/acty setup ( http://www.ramweldingsupply.com/products-view.mcic?s=1187 ). I love playing with the gas setup as you can do just about anything you can do with any other type of welder and a bit more.

I am a design engineer in Akron NY. I design and build high speed, precision automated machinery. I design them, build them, and make them run. I also maintain them. I weld, machine, and construct. From the ground up, I do it all. I have used alot of welders, and whether you use a miller, or a Lincoln, the results are the same. It's all in what you're used to. Both are equal machines. Except when it comes to TIG welding. Miller takes the cake there......... Oh, and I forgot about my torches I think, Victor is what's on top of my bottles.... :notworthy: