front sprocket shaft

yesterday i was rippin around at Gopher Dunes here in southern Ontario and my front sprocket came off of my shaft. what happened was the nut that holds the sprocket on stripped itself and came off. I have the nut still but the threads on the shaft and the nut are ruined

My question is can i tap the shaft to a smaller thread diameter and get a smaller nut or do i have to replace the whole damn shaft???

thanks guys

Matt

There should've been a washer with splines in the miidle of it that goes on before the nut. You bend the ears over on the washer to keep the nut from backing off. If it was me I would get a new washer and nut, and try to find a thread die to recut the threads. Might be worth a shot.

I'm in the same boat..there iarn't that many threads on the shaft and I cringe whenever I have to change my front sprocket...lucky for me it's still holding, but that is on the list for my next overhaul if it last that long...It's been like that since I owned the bike so I'm not too worried.