mod the airbox? 2 into 1? open element?

gonna be rebuilding the top end this week. bored .040 over, vitos power pistons, fmf fatty pipes. been debating abo0ut what to run for an air element.

i like the idea of the 2 into 1 element but does it really do anything? was thinking of running an open element but like having the protection of an airbox. is there any mods to do to the airbox to improve flow?

you guys like the UNI foam elements or the K&N?

thanks for the input

I pulled the entier Lid off mine...

Now I went to the next step and got clamp ons....

Of course, others have drilled holes into their lids, or at least removed the shitty snorkle thing.

I'm partial to K&N's but thats because I ride 90% sand and 10% dirt and the K&n works fine for me, Bascialy K&N flows more but supposedly foam will filter better. If you go with the foam make sure you clean it everytrip.

Foam filters catch a lot more. I'd never recommend a K&N for an offroad vehicle. The 2 into 1 filters only work about as good as the airbox with the lid off, so I wouldn't waste your money. The best alternative would be clamp-ons, but you said you want to keep the airbox so that's kinda ruled out.

This is the first I've thought of this, but couldn't you drill holes in the bottom of the airbox and put in the small filters? Wouldn't that flow more air with the combination of taking the lid off? Of course they'd have to be cleaned a lot to be of any use.

K&N's are NOT that bad....They need to be replaced when they wear out is all...

Of course you have to use outerwears not just a straight K&N...I don't think anyone in my groop other than those running stock filters use foam and non of us have problems...Manyrecomend foam for dirt riding though.

People go with the two into one once they ditch the stock airbox for reasons such as larger carbs typicaly, other than that the stock airbox without lid is probably about the same.

The foam vs K&N is and will always be a huge debate on this forum. There are downsides to foam also, like crap working it's way inside the filter like grass seeds etc (as someone mentioned) and less airflow, but both will eventually need to be replaced as they wear out.

they also sell a pre-charger for the top of the Airbox....Or there is a straight K&N top for the stock Banshee airbox also, but getting through 2 K&Ns seems restrictive to me.

Edited by Justintoxicated

THe 2n1 setup with a K&N (with outerwear) is the ONLY way to go with stock carbs. I have ran the Pro-flow setup without a lid, with a lid and holes, clamp ons, and the 2N1 setup. The 2n1 totally blew the others away. One of the easiest power increase I have found.

I used to have the Toomey 2 into 1 and when I switched to airbox I had to go up on my mains. To me, that indicates the airbox actually flowed better. It kinda makes sense since air flowing through the 2 into 1 has to turn 90 degrees as it gets sucked in. That's my personal experience anyway.

going up on the mains does not mean less flow. Larger mains=more gas. The only reason more gas would be needed is becasue there is more air. You would need to go up on the mains if you took the lid off too, or with pipes, porting, big bore etc....does that mean less flow too??

going up on the mains does not mean less flow. Larger mains=more gas. The only reason more gas would be needed is becasue there is more air.

Exactly what I was getting at. Maybe you should re-read my post.

Running the airbox with the ProFlow foam filter (without prefilter) flowed better than the Toomey setup with Outerwear. That may be unique to my bike for some reason but those were my results.

thanks for all the replys guys. i am a fan of K&N as ive used them on my trucks with good result for years. not sure if im gonna go with a full open element. we still do hit some water and sloppy mud around here so i thinkid be better off withb a modified airbox.

cut that snorkel thing off and open the top up a little then drill a few holes in the metal on the inside. then put a K&N in there. something liek that should help it breath a little better while protecting from the water and slop.