Smoking And Lack Of Power

I just got my CPI inframes and clamp on K&N filters. Installed the parts to get ready for a dune trip next weekend. Re-jetted the carbs. I put 310 mains, 30 pilots, and left the needle in the third position. I fire it up and take it for a ride to see how it works. It seems like the low end is very hesitant. I know that these are mid to high range pipes but i wouldn't expect the low end to be worse than stock. Another thing it is smoking real bad like it is running rich. The smoke is blue. I drained my gas tank and put new fuel and oil in it 40:1 because my roommate borrowed the bike and didn't know what kind of oil he used to mix it. All he knew is that it is pre-mix oil :shootself: So i tried to ride it for a while to see if maybe it would quite smoking but that didn't help. it is sea level here and around 65 degrees. Any suggestions would be appreciated thanks in advance.

I just tried the stock pilots ran it for about five minutes and still is smoking real bad. I'm trying to clean the air filters right now but i doubt that will change anything because there wasn't much oil on them. might try to put 300 mains on but think it might be too lean. please help I'm lost at what to do now.

Possibilities:

Blown head gasket allowing antifreeze in which will make the shee smoke white and smell kinda sweet.

or: blown crank seal on the clutch side which would allow oil into the cylinders causing them to burn bluish black color

or: you could have a broken reed petal which would cause the shee to run extremely rich..

ok thanks i'll keep checking into it. also right after I put the pipes and filters on one of the slides was stuck wide open and we got it started which it was then stuck at full throttle. i was able to hit the kill switch right away though. its definately not a sweet coolant smell and the color is a blue color. ill keep checking back though in case something comes up.

Did you get this figured out yet? I'd say you are running lean. I have the K&N's with Fatty's and I'm running 30 on the pilots and 350 for the mains. I'm up in Mac if you want to try some jets. I think I have 300-340's laying around.

Where are your screws at?

30's with clamp-on filters sounds right,but the mains will be wayy to small,especially with CPI.

Also check your reeds,if they are worn it may contribute to your poor low-end performance and will make it very hard to dial it in

Edited by Nightrider

I don't know where my screws are at I haven't adjusted them. What size mains do you think I need. I have also pulled the choke out when it is fully warmed up and it runs a lot worse, which I hear that it means its too rich but I'm not sure.

Edited by sheerdr

What kind of oil and mixture are you running? Hows the oil level in the tranny? have you tried different needle heights? might want to drop them down one notch....What about the tors? Have you tried disconnecting that ? Little black box above the left exhaust, unplug the 3 wire plug....also disconnect the parking brake switch....