Shee Wont Start!

could be leaking.. Is that what the leak down test is for? Where do i get one..

You can find out how to make a leakdown tester here:

How to Make a Leakdown Tester.

As far as your compression, you are way low. 80 is a no go, and when you have quite a bit of difference, that is also a no go. You need a rebuild. I'd take it to a shop for a rebuild (if your uncomfortable with it) and aske them to perform a leakdown test prior to breaking it down, then when they have it rebuilt, perform another leakdown test. When you get it back, you should hopefully have a 125+ on each side and it will run like a mutha.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its not really a difference ofmuch.. they are both about 90

However, It hink a seal is bad or something.. It just doesnt SOUND right, I keep telling people that, but I dunno whati t is, it just doesnt sound like its sealed.. After I pulled the plugs, and did the comp. test, I put the plugs in, first kick sounded very odd, almost like it farted into the exhaust pipes or something.. Could this have anything to do with my reeds? I removed them prior to installing the trinity carb.. But is ito n upside down? Would that do it??

noticed on a different thread, someone said hold the throttle wide open when testing compression, would that make any difference..? I didnt touch the throttle when doing my compression test. Another question, my compression guage seems sort of bad for the job, i mean it works and all, but should I get one that screws in, or is my "rubber top" fine... It just says push it into the hole. $18 from car quest

Even at 90 psi you're still way low...Rebuild the top end and be done with it!!!

word.

if your really in doubt, take it to a shop and ask them to test your compression, they should do it for nada.

Edited by sredish

im not having trouble with it, i just want to make sure its that before I go and spend another $500 on her... I bought an 87 because I didnt have the money for a newer one, now I've got twice as much money into it as I spent on it, and is it worth doing this.. Whats next, my tranny??

Biggest thing is I want to ride, shee has been down for the last year, didnt ride at all last summer,now this summer Iw as gonna ride alot, but now shee's dead.. It just makes it hard to like whats happening to my bank account. So far all the money ive put into her, hasnt paid off... So I guess if its not being able to handle the fact that I gotta rebuild then so be it.. But damnit, I am soooo angry that I cant ride this weekend. Not to mention how long before I wil have my engine done? Another month?? That takes me to july, and I leave for school in august.. My summer of riding just went **POOOF**

***EDIT***

Sorry, just releasing my anger. bangheadbangheadbanghead

Edited by Hockey390

another question, to rebuild the top end.. What will I need to buy. Would you all suggest I just go with boring? If so, what bore. I can get a wiseco piston kit off ebay for like $170 shipped for basically any size, what would you recommend? WIll I need to resleeve? Just bore? Let me know... I've never dealt witht his area of the quad.

Anyone that knows someone to do work close to me, let meknow.. I really want to get this done fast.

Another question is would it be cheaper to upgrade my quad? Like buy a newer shee with some mods already done, and swap some ofm y aftermarkets with stockers on it..? Then part out mine =( ?

Man, a top end rebuild should cost no more than 200 bucks, that's the piston kit, gaskets, and the bore job. It only takes a couple hours to do, and should only keep you from riding for a week. I'm in the same boat as you are right now, believe me, I understand your anger. I don't know where you're getting your prices from, a wiseco piston kit, which includes most of your gaskets, only costs 119 bucks on ebay. A bore job should be no more than 50, and I added the extra 30 in there for miscellaneous little things you might need. Regardless of whether or not you want to rebuild your top end, you need to. With the compression you listed you're due for one and if you ride as much as you say you want to, you'll need one soon anyhow even if this is not the reason your banshee won't start. SO, go buy you a top end kit, and when you order it, take your cylinders to be bored. That way, by the time your pistons show up in the mail, your cylinders will be done and all you have to do is slap it on there.

be sure you don't get the cheapy top end kit without upper rod bearings.... Get the upper rod bearings... Your in there, might as wel replace them... Also, what did your reeds look like when you pulled them out? Did they seal correctly? Your rebuild will cost you at least $200. I pay my machine guy $35 a hole. He does a superb job. Haven't found anyone better..... When boring, take them to the machinist. Have them measure the bore, find out what bore your on, and then go to the next size up. Do not skip sizes. MEaning, if you are at .020" over, don't jump to .060" over. You won't gain any power, and it just wastes material for later "mishaps"... banghead Sounds like you need a rebuild anyways. And, for future reference, you neeed to hold the throttle wide open. If you don't suck any air into the engine, how do you expect to compress any to get a reading? :whoa:

im not having trouble with it, i just want to make sure its that before I go and spend another $500 on her
You are having trouble with it. It doesn't run.... :unsure: You need 4 things to run on a two stroke. Fuel, compression, a perfectly timed spark, and an exhaust..... Sounds like you have at least two of those.... Fuel, and an exhaust. The timing and compression is what need attention.....

when i said not having problems, i just meant grasping the concept of having to do the work. What do I look up in the phone book to find someone to do it????????

I'm gonna rip the top end off tonight -_- and hopefully have it done thursday, maybe i can get her up and running in 3 days?!?!?!

when i said not having problems, i just meant grasping the concept of having to do the work. What do I look up in the phone book to find someone to do it????????

I'm gonna rip the top end off tonight -_- and hopefully have it done thursday, maybe i can get her up and running in 3 days?!?!?!

Oh, and what should the stock width be... like 64mm??

Ok, I've decided its the end of her life....

I've put way too much money into her and I'm not seeing anything from it. I will be parting her out soon, so if you need anything let me know.. I will write down who wants what.. probably be starting to sell it all next week.

If you or anyone you know has a banshee for sale in michigan, get ahold of me via AIM (gunzrtoyz) or PM, email, or call me. 989-737-1801

Thanks.

i know this sounds dumb but since you haven't run it in a year check to see if your exhaust isn't plugged. maybe something made a nest in there. i bought a 125 years ago and it wouldn't run. after i traded to a friend he found out the exhaust was plugged

where do you get the idea i havent ran it in a year?

If you read the post, I started it after I installed the TORS removal kit.. ran fine, shut it off...tried to start the next day and it was dead.