First Build

deathmetal2004

heres the deal, me and a freind went to rolling thunder in logan, west virginia when we were riding hatfield mccoy trails and did some draging there. now were hooked on drag shee's and we want to build one. what our plan is is to buy an older shee thats been hammered and blown out the top end, whatever makes it cheap, then gut the motor, put an override trans in it,stroker crank, some serious drag porting, 35mm flatslides. maybe a big bore and a cool head with high comp domes and some side hanging drag pipes. maybe even a bottle of nitro if we need too. hope to get around 75-80hp. then for the frame lower it down, chop the front end and extend it out, -2 swingarm and a wheelie bar. anyone have any tips for us or suggestions on here we might go wrong with something. i know my 2 strokes pretty good(no genious though) and my buddy is a good welder, so i think we will do alright, just need some input from the experienced. any tips on cutting the frame or if anyone knows some good sites that have a blueprint or something for it would be nice also.

Edited by deathmetal2004

extend the front out about 12 inches, and make sure you use light tubing, my 350 on gas will make 80 hp so if youre runnin a stroker youll get more then that, what size crank are you going to run?

josh what mods are you running to push 80 HP on gas?

i think were going to run a 10mm stroker. of cource getting cases modded for it might come into play with that, but if we get porting and big bore, we will get it done all in one shot.ive been going through in my head how to tie up the front suspension. im thinking we can fab our own lower a-arms with adjustable ends on them and might be able to make some spindles(we work at a machine shop what a convinience!) then fab some type of strut off of the spindle. im gonna bring my shee to work tonite so we can figure some things out. thanks for the help and confidence everyone!

Rolling Thunder rocks.......we went there for the big event last Memorial day weekend. Can you believe the size of that hillclimb track.That focker is huge.A huge black bear came out half way up the hill and watched the action for quite some time. They had a bar right by the burnout pit.......awesome. Back to your post. I would leave the front end alone as far as streching it. Fab some light a arms. Shave all the useless tabs. For the horsepower you are talking I would use a +8 or +10 swingarm.

that was at the rear wheels hopefully in the very near future i will be putting on the dyno agian to see what it puts out on alky I know it is a considerable increase as it dropped my time alot and pulls harder than you would not believe. As for setting this bike up I would say you are on the right track. It all depends on the track you are running like mine I am running a stock rear swingarm because we don't have enough bite to make the longer swingarms work.

we would like to make it versital for many different tracks. maybe even run asphalt if possible. we want to stretch the front end out to keep it planted while racing and have the -2 swingarm to really give it some bite off the line. basically we want to use the funny car principal. and of course a wheelie bar to keep it moving at wfo.rolling thunder was sweet. we stayed at the lodges by the paintball feild. couldnt have asked for a better place to stay for the price. and the bar was more happenin than i ever would have expected. the girl who runs the lights at the track, candice, is one of the coolest girls ive ever met. the locals dont really like the track, but then again they dont like the hatfield mccoy trails, i guess their just used to them.