Keihin Single Carb

yea guys i have this single keihin carburetor. it acts like it doesn't want to idle. i have tried adjusting the idle screw and it seems to have no affect on the idle. i have taken apart the carb several times to clean it and it still doesn't idle. do you guys have any idea what could be the problem here. i have rode a stock banshee and it seems like the stock banshee has more power and i have wiseco pro lite pistons and la sleeves and a hot rod crank. i don't see how a stock banshee could possibly have more power. well guys hope you can help me out. thanks andrew

do you have an inline filter to see if the flow is there like it should be? how about your gas, is it new or old? what about your float bowls, have you checked to make sure nothing got bent in there? is the throttle cable adjusted correctly? air filter, nice and clean? have you tried to adjust the air screw? you may try to spray carb cleaner or ether or something around the carb boots to see if it picks up, identifying an air leak.

is it just idling so low it stalls, or is it rough and cutting out then dies?

Scott

i just filled it up ith gas yesterday and this problem just happened recently and today i think i burnt a whole in the piston because it just shut off when i was running it in high gear and it wouldn't start and the kicker felt like the motor had very little compression, so i am guessing that their was an air leak. where is the most common place for an air leak? is their any certain type of sealant you are suppose to put around the carb going into the intake? pleez help because i have an extra top end that i am ready to drop and would like to correct this problem so i don't screw up a perfectly good top end. thanks

p.s. i just had the carburetor apart and everything looks fine. i am 90 percent sure that their's an air leak. you're the pro so what are your thoughts?

Has it always felt slower than a stock banshee? You said this problem just started to happen, how did it feel before this mishap? What pilot, main jet and needle are you running? Where do have the needle set? What mix ratio do you run? Did you do a psi check, what does is read? How old is this motor, was it about time for it to go, or was this premature? What size carb do you run?

I just want to get all this info out in the open. It will make it a lot more easy to help.

when i bought the bike, the motor was rebuilt with wiseco pro lites and LA sleeves resleeved to standard bore and it has a hot rod crankshaft. i have a 35mm carburetor but i am not 100 percent sure. all i know is that it's a single keihin carb. is their anyway you figure out what size the carb is? the jets are 172 and 48 and i have no idea what clip the needle is on. one more thing, i am about at 600 above sea level and the plugs are fine. thanks guys

1st - buy/borrow a compression test gauge (can pick up pretty cheap and invaluable)

2nd - buy/make a leakdown test gauge (you can read about how to make one at Duncan's Pressure Testing page)

you need to verify and/or eliminate those two things before you go worrying about other things.

I would think a lean condition would cause it to melt towards the exhaust side of the piston. Is the hole right in the center of the piston? I'm leaning towards detonation from not enough octane with those 15cc domes in there. You've gotta be pushing a ton of compression, what octane fuel were you running? Higher compression isnt always a good thing. I'm sure if you dropped it some with larger domes it would actually make it run better.

I'm leaning towards detonation from not enough octane with those 15cc domes in there.

:o Where did you see that? Was a sig changed, cause I saw 20cc? Yeah, if you were running 15cc domes and you didn't some high octane race in there, BOOOOMMM, unless you live on Mt. St. Helens, especially if you had a lean condition to boot.

Later.

It was in another one of his posts, and me n him got to talkin about it before when I was gettin his t-maxx off him for the cylinders I had as a back up.

yea so i took off the top end today to notice a hole in one of my pistons and the guys on here said that it's cause by a lean mixture. the jets in my carb are a 172 and a 48. i'm not sure what clip the needle is on. should i change them? i am around 1000 above sea level and i'm running 15cc domes. i run straight cam 2 race gas. i have a fresh top end that's bored .060 over. i was also wondering if it would be ok to use the same domes from the old top end. i was also wondering if i should change the reeds out too.