Malden

Proquad101

• 2 weeks later...

My last race here? Wasn't what I thought it would be but I had fun...

The track we race TT on (once a month Sept-April, same day as the MX track right next to the TT track) is set up on a 3/8 mile dirt oval, we start on the front stretch, take the big semi-banked sweeper, hairpin into the infield for 3 rolling singles and 4 hairpins.

This race was a night race during the Monster Truck show, so these guys wanted to put on a show for the crowd (not sure what the hell was wrong with the old track layout), so they levelled the old track and put in a "mini-MX" track...all it was was a hairpin BEFORE the sweeper, a small double (like 10' gap), two small singles, another double, a hairpin onto the front straight and a large single.

So after I got there and saw the track I had to take it from TT setup back to MX/desert; take off the swaybar, raise the front & adjust the shocks, take off the rear lowering link & adjust the shock...in the parking lot.

They advertised a little bit, they flyers said $300 purse. I showed up and my buddy Matt from Alamogordo was there on his Z400, he just finished doing a 13.5:1 piston, cam, Ohlins fronts, Lonestar +3 axle, and Lake gray plastics on it. His friend John was there with a KFX400, sporting a-arms and Custom Axis fronts, and a Lonestar +2 axle. Nobody else that usually races TT showed up. A couple other guys did, Chuck from Alamo Cycle Center on a stock YFZ450, his friend on a built 440ex, and a blue Banshee. The only other entry was a bone stock black LE Banshee that the guy bought a month before.

At the riders meeting they asked if we wanted to get paid for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd or just split up the pot...the entry was only 5 bucks so everyone decided just to split it up. The stands were full tho, and after the monster trucks screwed around a little bit we were up for the first of two motos.

I got the holeshot and after the first time around, lapped John and the 440ex, who collided on the first hairpin and both stalled, they got going after I passed but I could hear Matt's Yoshi pipe thundering right behind me. On about the 4th lap (out of 4) I got into lap traffic, the blue Banshee was rolling the doubles so I had to, sure enough Matt got around and took the lead. I chased him but couldn't pass, and when John got between us his lead got larger. Matt got first and I finished second.

After the first moto we got to talking and Matt said his battery fell out...I saw something gray plastic on the track and tried to miss it :o but turns out the plastic bucket that holds the battery on his new plastic dropped out along with the battery. Oops. We retrieved the battery but the terminal was ripped out of the battery, so there was no fixin' it. It ran without the battery so we figured we could pull start it, as the clouds built up it looked like it would rain so the Monster Truck guys told us we were up right after the freestyle dirt bikes, I pulled Matt around the whole pit area and it wouldn't start, so he was out.

We lined up again and the 440ex also didn't race, apparently it wouldn't run right. I grabbed another holeshot and led the whole race. Chuck on the YFZ was in second but a good 40' behind so it wasn't very close. John on the KFX said he couldn't ever get around Chuck so I guess he held him off for me, heh, I finished first, so since Matt didn't race I got the overall.

After the race they started splitting up our entry fees and we were like "where's the three hundo?". Finally the Monster Truck guys kicked down with $100 on top of the $35 for all our entries, and the Sertoma boys shelled out another $100. Chuck said he'd donate his winnings (he owns Alamo Cycle), along with his buddy's share, so the other 5 of us left with $47 each. Better than nothing.

On a side note, Matt & I talked to the Sertoma guys that run the track and asked when they would let us run quads on the oval on Friday nights with the cars (not at the same time of course). He said he'd check with his insurance and see so hopefully this summer I'll have some ST racin' too, we'll see.

I didn't get any pics but at the next race I should get some, there were a few guys on the track taking pictures and I think Matt's girlfriend took some too. Oh yeah, I also found out I got first overall for last season on the TT track in Amateur (had to miss the awards banquet because of Roostfest), so that's cool.

That's my story, break down with the Malden info!!!