SwingArm SkidPlate Poll

Meat

Your SWINGARM Skid Plate Choice.........  

5 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

im lookin to buy a new swingarm skidplate and need some advice.

I was using an AC skidplate but I mangled it all up the other day. Its removed now and its fixable, but Id still like to buy a new one.

Im considering one of those heavier stainless steel ones, but im not sure who makes them. If anyone has one of these stainless steel swingarms skids id like to hear about it. Id sacrifice some weight for protection.

Which skidplates cover the shock linkage. I know PRM does, do any other brands ?

I seen some skid are .190 thick and others are .250

HHmmmm............I hate skid plates. I rolled down a hill backwards and got a rock caught between the skid and sprocket. I rolled over backwards. I haven't had a skid on since. That was 8 years ago and I havent bent or chipped anything since. I might consider one if I did a lot of rocky trail riding, but thats about it. My .02 cents. hehe

I stick with factory swingarm piece. I had an aftermarket one that acted like a shovel in most muddy spots. Also as stated in the previous post they can be a real bitch at the very top of a hill climb. I have gotten right to the top and all of a sudden, stopped dead! Thank God for a quick buddy who dove and grabbed my front bumper before she flipped over backwards!

I would say stich with the AC, unless you can get one from CC metal works. I won one off of Ebayawhile back for a friend. 1/4" thick it looked to be. That thing is a tank. Better fit and finish than my AC was/is. But, my AC, I can't speak enough about. I have been running 18" tires most of the summer due to axle problems, and now I am runing my stock bent axle. Anything but the light 18" make it shake uncontrollably. So, I would say either the AC, or the CC if you can find one. I liked the Idea of the PRM, with the linkage protection, but as stated before, I have the mind to think that mud, snow and other things would find their way in there. I have run open linkage this long, and with the 18" tires, I have smacked some serious shit, almost threw me off the bike sometimes, but that linkage is a stout piece. It's up to you though!!!! Just get some feedback and make the call!!!!!!!

I have the baja skid. I havent tried others, but must say that this thing is thick. I think that I do some similar riding to you meat, and have beaten the skid pretty badly. It has not dented, it is just scratched to shit. My only complaint was that the skid did not just bolt right on. I had to hammer out on this side and in on that side. It took about 15 minutes to get on. I have been thinking about getting a new one as well, and would be pretty content on buying another one of these.

I got the PRM skid and rode it up at Tower City and hit some major stuff and the skid held up well. It protects the shock linkage and is just a beast. I believe the armadillo also protects the shock linkage and with the .25 thickness i'm sure it does as well or even better. If your not worried about the weight to much i'd go with one of those 2.

Take it easy,

Abyss

Dura Blue makes one that is just like what's on the Cannondale's .

it's made out of some realy tough plastic that holds up well.

I think James Lucky sells them and Nac's Racing

I don't run a skid because my Quads are only riden in the sand.

just wanted to through this one in the hopper

Glamis in 9 days , YAAAAAAAA BABY

hmmm the Armadillo one might be good cause its .250 thick. Only one who voted for the stainless steel one was me :( I dont think I want to buy another AC one either. I might go with the PRM one, it has the most votes too. Iv cracked that damn shock linkage 100 times allready, but one of these times its gonna break.

wicked iv bent alot parts :twisted: I could re-bend my AC back into shape but I dont want too, its time for a new skidplate. I hit a half buried rock with the skidplate moving pretty fast, it hit hard. I stopped right away and I could see the skidplate hanging, I broke off the 2 mounting bolts on the one side of the skid and bent the hell outta the mounts. I banged it back into shape with a big fuggin rock I found along the trail and used a wire tie to hold up the side with the missing bolts. It seems everytime I go riding, I break something. Im just about done riding this season soon. I bent my axle recently too, Iv got a new LSR axle coming tho, I cant wait to get it.