Flat Track

91twin350

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Low and wide if the track is gripping, narrow it up and make it taller if the track is slick. You'll need a sway bar Here's a sway bar, lowering link Here's a lowering link and preferably some short shocks for the front. They do have lower links for the front but you can't jump with them.. not really. Banshee usually do very well at flat track because of the top end.

BenBB runs TT races. He may chime in here too.

sounds like the other guys r tellin u correctly... but dont 4get TIRES!!! u will need 2 check with the race promoter as for what is allow n the class u want 2 run... most of them will not let u run race tires n the beginner class... if u run am or pro u can decide what works best at that track... look at the other guys and find out what type they run... usually i run american racers front and rear... but on certain tracks the hoosiers work better... if u have any more questions u can ask on here or pm me... L8r d34

I agree with everyone else, good points. Alot will depend on the track, so start there and find out what kind of tires are required, and what setup everyone else is running. Some places like my local track have no restrictions, others won't let you on the track with knobby tires. If the competition in your class is weekend warriors and not amateur level, just get out there and see what you need most:

High siding on the hairpins? get a wider axle, a-arms, lowering kits (or TT-specific shocks) and a swaybar; Getting left behind on the start? get some good rear tires and consider shortening the swingarm, increase compression, try different gearing but remember you'll sacrifice top speed if you emphasize shorter gearing; Getting passed on the straightaways? motor mods (pipes, filter, timing, etc.), try taller gearing if it won't kill your holeshot, consider porting; Getting outbraked and passed in turns? upgrade the brake lines to stainless steel.

You'll need the basics (again some tracks are more lenient but safety stuff is always a good idea): helmet, goggles, boots, chest protector, gloves, a tether kill switch, number plates and nerf bars (nerfs are a must-have).

In TT motor work might be a little ahead of suspension (unlike MX where I think suspension is WAY more important). Basic bolt-ons will get you pretty far tho, so if your quad rips on the trails or the dunes and already has some mods, look at tires first (if necessary) and then lowering, widening, and a sway bar.

In my experience, the start can be half the race...practice your starts. Stay loose on the track and protect your lines; don't get all worked up if you're at the back or even the middle of the pack, ride smooth and just do the best you can. Spinning out or overshooting a turn will set you back alot farther than riding clean and at your own pace...getting into a collision can be even worse (and might get you an ambulance ride).

I'm gonna stop rambling, but I do hope you go for it, flattracking is awesome fun and gets VERY addicting. I'm not an expert but if you have any questions just post 'em and someone will be able to help. I've got a race Sunday and can't wait to hit the track...

Ben coverd just about everything you will need to know. The best thing is to set your bike like Ben said and go race. You need to race every chance you get and every kind of track you can go to ( indoor, outdoor, tt, big ovals). When you go to the races dont try to enter a class that you are not ready for it will only discourage you and you will loose interest. As you get time racing you will be able to move up. Good luck and if there is anything I can do to help just ask.

d34 you been racing any?

YES!! keep any info coming that you can. Do anyone have some good video of TT that they can share with me? Would love to have nationals video and womens class video. My wife (and I might also)wants to start TT and we need all the info and video we can get so we know what to expect.

Any good video or pointers on setup of quad and how to learn what needs adjustment. And good idea of what tires work on what kinds of surfaces. I do not have the money to buy 10 different pairs of tires to try right now. It is going to be expensive enough getting the quad ready to just start trying it!

Thanks for the help.

PM me with what you can help me with

u can view pics of my bike at My Webpage... pro101 i just got home from an indoor... track was VERY slick but i raised my bike all the way back up and actually did decent... 2nd from an outside start is not bad on a slick (or any) indoor... also ur av looks nice with those red beadlocks... r u plannin on runnin the national at paducah again this yr??? L8r d34

I have been racing a few little indoor races around here, but I have been riding a guys 250r. My bike is getting the frame worked on , I'm re-doing my shock mounts and lighten the frame by cutting off alot of things that I dont need. After I get that done its going to be powder coated. You like the new rims they are the hyper-tech carbin fiber rims, I like them they are indestructable. Yes I will be at all the nationals this year, are you going race anyother ones besides paducah?

if things stay the way they r now i wont make any of them :rolleyes: ... i will atleast run the 1 at paducah its only an hour from my house and i race there every race they have... i wont know about the others til it gets closer... im n the middle of remodeling a house that i just bought and dont live n yet... sorry bout havin 2 ride an r i feel 4 u... i got a race bike 4 sale maybe u need it :P ... L8r d34

if things stay the way they r now i wont make any of them  :rolleyes:  ... i will atleast run the 1 at paducah its only an hour from my house and i race there every race they have... i wont know about the others til it gets closer... im n the middle of remodeling a house that i just bought and dont live n yet... sorry bout havin 2 ride an r i feel 4 u... i got a race bike 4 sale maybe u need it  :P  ... L8r d34

send me info on the bike!

its looks just like mine n the pics on the link above... it is actually n the background of 1 that has 2 bikes on stands bein put 2gether... it is setup just like mine... the guy that had it raced at paducah with me... he won the 25+ class on it... it is stock stroke bored 80 over... 34pj carbs... prodesign intakes... duncan coolhead... on the dyno it put out 64+ hp... has the direct link rear shock (afco) setup already installed... works front shocks... denton steering stabilizer .... +2+1 a arms, -2 stock swingarm... durablue axle... durablue swaybar... $3200 and may take possible trade(s)... L8r d34