Jetting

BanShee777

I live @ about sea level. When I bought my quad it had fmf fatties and i was told it had 270 or 280 mains. It did run rich due to the look of the plugs and it had a slight bog on take off unless i got the rpm's up. I just had a mild port job done, added delta v force cages/reeds, + 1/2" reed spacers and the quad doesn't quite want to idle, it bogs twice as bad unless raising the rpm's more but after taking off it freaking screams. It also starts up easy. I don't understand. The plugs look a light chocolate brown now. Any information would be appreciated. If it makes a difference i also put a cool head on w/21 cc domes.

Mine does about the same thing. Its probably too rich in one of the circuits. Putting in the new reed cage even richened up the middle circuit more. Banchetta told me to lower my needle clip position. I haven't done it yet so I don't know if it will work . He'll probably answer this post anyway.

Try raising the needles one clip position and shee how that does. If the shee is starting great, then leave those pilots in there.. If the shee likes the higher needles then raise them again...you could find even more hidden power....your shee will either like it or hate it.....make sure the carbs are in sync...when you check the plugs, was that after a wide open throttle run in 6th gear for 5-10 seconds or just normal riding.....normal riding will give false and richer readings....the plug test is only good to dial in the mains...

And there it is.....except he said to raise the needle clip pos. Hey

Banchetta, I thought that would richen the circuit?

exactly....raise the needles by lowering the clip on the needles to richen them.....leanness causes hesitation of the powerband. most of your riding is done in the needle range (1/4-3/4 throttle) so when you whack it, it takes a few seconds for the mixture in the lower end of the motor to clean out and get a richer mixture from the mains at wide open throttle....so its important to get all 3 stages dialed in to get the most power from the shee....Pilots/air screws, needles, mains......

I appreciate the responses, I'll try changing the needle position and report back. Banchetta, I haven't ridden the Shee but about 10 times and after the few mods it really freakin screams and the area's I ride in only allow me to get into fourth and then I have to shut her down. I don't have anywhere to stretch it out unless I hit the hwy. Would strapping her down on my quad jack and run it out get me close to where I need to be on my mains or just leave them alone for the riding I do? Also do I really need the reed spacers?

Spacers...No, you don't need them. Revving it up on a stand is useless. You need to put a load on the motor...the more of a load, the richer the settings....thats why I suggest 6th gear runs....If you can't do a plug test, then you could always do Benbb suggestions.. Run the largest main you can until it bogs, then drop 1-2 sizes...Rich is safe....

Banchetta - Thanks, I moved the clip one down and that seemed to take some of the bog out of 1st. It still bogs some (like it use to before the extra mod's) but a buddy of mine that drags told me that is the nature of the beast. Not sure if he knows what he is talking about because he has his own mechanic on his quad. I was running it out the subdivision today to hit the hwy when the Sheriff's Office showed up to run radar on the main drag in the sub so I had to put it up. I did find that fourth pulled strong as heck and nearly flipped me off the bike. The front floated up w/o me noticing it at first. The lower gears I knew it was going to do that. Anyways, Thanks for the help. Much appreciated, + the other post's Thanks

Banchetta - Thanks, I moved the clip one down and that seemed to take some of the bog out of 1st. It still bogs some (like it use to before the extra mod's) but a buddy of mine that drags told me that is the nature of the beast.  Not sure if he knows what he is talking about because he has his own mechanic on his quad.  I was running it out the subdivision today to hit the hwy when the Sheriff's Office showed up to run radar on the main drag in the sub so I had to put it up.  I did find that fourth pulled strong as heck and nearly flipped me off the bike.  The front floated up w/o me noticing it at first. The lower gears I knew it was going to do that.  Anyways, Thanks for the help.  Much appreciated, + the other post's Thanks

You might want to try raising them another notch...I've seen a lot of times, that you can gain just as much the second time as you just did this first time....Give it a try, it'll either like it, or sputter and not want to kick in, but you'll know...you might find some more unhidden power!!! :o Nature of the beast........depends on pipes and jetting....I can get most pipes to pull hard from the bottom. only some like T5's, CPI, PC,and Trinitys have no a very narrow powerband....