Business

juldan1

I wanted to know what kind of prices the dealers and business owners get. I want to know if you make the duckets on the labor. Just been thinking about it alot.I have a market for repairs and peple adding mods and what have you. Theres one store here that has the market cornered and I believe iF there was a guy that could charge a little lower on the labor and parts, etc

In just about any business you don't make much money on parts/materials. You make your money in the labor. I know in my business it all depends on how you look at it. I pay 49 cents a foot for gutter and charge $2.50 a foot installed so I make a $2.01 a foot. You can look at it as I make 2 bucks a foot for labor or mark up on marerials. I know this has nothing to do with the ATV market but I have never met anyone in the ATV market that makes alot of money. If thats your dream to be selfemplyed check out the gutter companys and learn everything you can and try that. You have very little overhead it very easy just commen cents, and for every $300 that I spend I make a $1000. If you are good and dependable you will have the work the potintial to bring in a good $2000 a day nothing to bring in 8-10 grand a week but you do have to consider gas and insuance thats it.

Agreed. I make most of the money in my shop on labor. Mostly because the price of materials bought and processing can be expensive. Typically on a job worth abour $15k, my shop will see a net profit of 20% or so. Not always, however, some are higher netting percentages, and some are complete losses.

Owning your own business is worth it in my opinion, but be prepared to work your ass off.

everyone has made great points. my parents own 2 construction companies. one is an excavation business and the other puts in concrete foundations. in the beginning things are always rough and your hours will be 24/7. its no 9 to 5 job when you are starting out. i do believe tho that once you get your feet on the ground it is well worth the extra effort. you make up your own hours, and there is no one to tell you what to do. a business that involves 4 wheelers and such would take a pretty good initial investment. you would then have to get a customer base and have to know your shit about them. it would be a long process but if you could make it work it would be a good investment.

Thanks for all the feedback guys. Yeah I was thinking more like a service shop, that stocked some of the more popular items, like pipes, jet kits, etc. I just thought that I should give it a try. I have the tools and the space covered. I steadily have a bike here that Im working on and make a few bucks. Its all pretty much word of mouth and I have had people call me that Ive never met. I kinda wonder when a guy goes to the stealership and buys a 600.00 kit and they want to charge him 200 to install the son of agun. They come over to me and I charge them half that some times less. I guess the biggest thing is I want tobecome self employed and do what i love. I haul hay for a living and it really kills me to go to imperial valley and see all the setups going to glamis.

got1banshee

:o I thought I was the only one that did gutter on this site.

How much do you pay your labors a foot or hour.

I have to lay 600 ft a day with a 2 man crew in the summer time.

Is that outrageous ?

In the summer we avrage 600-1000 foot a day. I start people with no experians at $10 hr with experiance 12 and my lead guy 14. This year I am planning on starting another crew and I will start paying 50 cents a foot per truck and its up to the lead guy to pay his helper what he thinks he should get.