Rear Brake Rotor

Hey guys,

I asked you guys a little while back to please check your banshee's for some play in your rear brake rotor. I go up to it and with one hand, i can move it back and forth just a slight bit.

Some people said tighten it with the two nuts on the left side.

I took it to the shop and they said that some banshees are like that with a little play in them.

What do you guys think, can some of you check ??

Thanks

Jo

i've heard the nuts do work loose sometimes, but i haven't seen it yet. i was told that a loose rotor is the 1st sign of your axle bearings being worn. i found out that my bearings were shot, and replacing them fixed my loose rotor too. support the rear end on a jack or something, and see if theres any play in the axle at the carrier.

If your rotor moves and your axle lock nut is tight and the bolts holding the rotor on are tight (these should be torqued down good and loctited) then your axle splines are worn and on the road to being shot. Bearing wear will be seen as movement in the entire axle, rotor and sprocket movement.

Do this; grab the rotor with one hand and the rear sprocket with the other...see if they both move. If so, tighten the axle nuts. My stock axle nuts came loose all the time, blue loctite helped but nothing cured it until I got a locknut (Alloyspecialties-thanks NYUK! Hasn't loosened once since I put it on). If you leave it the way it is now the axle (or more likely the brake rotor hub) splines will wallow out and eventually strip off completely...

As others mentioned, it would be a good idea to check the axle bearings; support the quad on a stand or something so the rear tires are off the ground and see if you can move the axle forward or back relative to the carrier. If there's any forward/back play, it's the bearings; if there's only side-to-side play, tighten the axle nuts.

well said benbb good info there. I have an alloyspecialties locknut and its working great.

I had my sprocket hub splines strip one day. I was stuck in five miles from home and I couldnt go anywhere, the sprocket and sprocket hub just spun around the axle. I got towed home that day :angry: This happened when i was still using the stock axle nuts and stock axle.

I noticed the play in mine as well, the first step was to try and tighten the axle nut, but it would'nt go any further with and 18" cresent. Putting the quad on the stand there was a lot of play in the axle. It took 2 days to BEAT the seized axle out. The splines on the sprocket hub and rotor hub were destroyed . The bearings were badly scored and were definately shot.

An 18" crescent? Man, you'd need to be a gorilla to break those nuts loose with that thing. I use a 36" crescent on mine. My 7 year old can break 'em loose with all that leverage.. hehhe

As for the initial poster's dilemna, I'd say tighten the axle nuts. Sounds like something's come loose. The "hub" holding the rotor is hald in place on it's splines by compression. The axle has a "lip" at the outboard edge of the splines to hold the hub in place and the inboard part of the hub rides right on the inner bearing race. Only way to keep this all snugged up is to tighten the axle nuts. Don't be afraid to honk down on 'em. There's a spacer between the bearings that'll keep you from crushing the bearings. Having said that, you don't want to have 3 of your buddies cranking down on 'em with 6' cheater bar, but you do want to make sure they're good and tight. (I go 230 lbs and basically sit on that big crescent to tighten 'em up. Would be a good idea to use some blue Locktite on the threads while you're at it.