1987 banshee title

Hey guys, I finally just got my first banshee after years of wanting one. It’s an 87 and all original as far I can tell. The guy that I bought it from said that he didn’t have a title, and the guy he bought it from said he’s the original owner and never had a title. I got my father in law who’s a cop to run the vin and it’s clean. My question is did atvs come with titles in 87? If not how hard would it be to get one? I’m in Texas btw

Yes, Atv’s in 1987 came with a title. My neighbor just went through this with his Banshee. There’s a few ways of obtaining a title for your Banshee. It’s a lot of work to get a title and to some people it’s not worth it effort. You had the VIN # checked and it came back clean then I would leave it alone unless you plan on doing some illegal riding. But here’s a few options for obtaining a title. 

*1st way I would just have the guy you bought it from write you a bill of sale and have it notarized and then have him get the original owner to write a bill of sale and have it notarized as well. Then just ride the Banshee and enjoy it! 

*2nd way is by having the original owner apply for a duplicate title though the state DMV as long as the title was transferred into his name after he purchased the Banshee from the dealership. If he didn’t transfer the title after he purchased the Banshee then he might be able to contact the dealership and see if they still have a record of the sale. 

*3rd way If you know or if you have a close friend that owns a towing business then you can have him apply for a abandon vehicle title through the state DMV. 

Good Luck!! 

• Thanks 1