Pilot Jetting

got it brand new, put fmf fatty's, silencers, k&n with pro flow kit and completley removed the lid, just havnt been able to get the jetting right, put 290 mains and moved the clip to the bottom, it idles fine, just if i rev it, it bogs, but if i rev it a second time right after its fine. so wondering if i need to up the main or the pilot or both, and if thats it, what do i change them to?

So it idles fine but when you rev it up it bogs.

-

you moved the clip to the bottem so your in the most richest position possible for your needle (1/8 - 3/4) throtthle) the part after idle.

I think you should up the clip to the middle position and try again.

The best advice I have ever received when it comes to tuning my banshee's, is to make one jetting change at a time. Don't change mains, clip positions and whatever else all at once. I usually start w/my mains and go from there. Earlier in the post someone said to fine tune w/the needle. This has always been the way I have tuned also. It seems to work for me.

I have an 04' with FMF Gnarlies with a twin air (foam filter w/ airbox adapter) at 400' Elev. My air filter is pretty similar to the stock one with the air box lid on. Mine starts and idles very nice and has great bottom end power and throttle responce and goes into the power band real crisp and clean. I have the air box lid on but it still seems to idle decent with the lid off as well (of course just to test the idle only). It may be hard to compare idle air screw settings since you have a K&N which is a lot less restrictive but the Gnarley and Fatty are tuned very similar so mabe my setting can help. I have #30 pilots with the air screws 2.5 turns out, needle in the stock position, 260 mains. I'm guessing that you should be at close to the same settings except air screws a little richer to compensate for more air flow (approx 1.5 turns out) and about +6 larger on the mains (=320 mains just like banshee04le said) since you have the (+4K&N) and no(+2 air box lid). The needle shouldn't have a real big effect at idle but you should probably have the clip in the middle (stock position - 3rd grove from either end) since you have still have stock reeds unless you want to fine tune after getting a good setting on the mains. I tried one clip richer on the needle on my shee and it still ran fine but it seems a little better on the stock needle setting. I'd suggest that you get the idle (pilots jets) and off idle throttle responce correct first because the bike has to idle good or you'll always have various problems with starting and riding when testing settings. I think you should be using #30 pilots but try first with the stock 25's to see if you can make them work without adjusting the airscrews too far. Just a suggestion since mine has great bottom end, 27.5's would also probably work. Also, if you get a good setting on the mains first but the thing still doesn't idle good and you end up changing the pilots you will also affect the main jets causing you to have to rejet the mains again. Usually if you go up 1 or 2 sizes on the pilots then you'll need to go down one size on the main. Hope this proves to be sound advise. I'm definitely not a pro at this stuff, but mine runs good with similar mods and was feeling you pain so I hope this helps.