New build advice

rjv140

Hello. I am new to the forum and banshees but not new to quads. I had a 400ex as well as a 250r back in the day and have the itch to get back into two strokes as I regret selling that bike. I acquired a j arm frame which is in nice shape, a stock motor and will be doing a ground up build. I don’t have an unlimited budget but am willing to spend money where it makes sense. My intentions are to make the bike have a stock look, functional for trail riding, but I am fine with aftermarket updates here and there. Based on my brief research, I definitely don’t want to go with a stock swingarm as I want to take advantage of a Honda style carrier chain adjustments. I am pretty sure I don’t want to go with stock j arms and definitely don’t want stock lower a arms. I like the idea of d arms and lower a arms with replaceable ball joints. Likewise, I want to go with yfz450 front calipers with master cylinder and likely yfz450 front shocks for a better ride vs stock shocks which supposedly leave something to be desired.

My main questions are what other aftermarket/non banshee parts should I consider vs. what stock parts should I be looking for?

Also, any good recommendations you have for front suspension and rear swing arm/carrier/axle would be much appreciated.

My stock swing arm always worked fine and was easy to adjust. I run a yfz450 front master and raptor 700 front calipers. They do not look like stock banshee brake components but in a way look OEM. You could get some fox or elka shocks and have them power coated to match the stock shock's colors.

Twice I went with a turbo chassis swing arm due to no logos or fancy stuff on it. It does not look stock or close to it.

bolt kit: https://alloyboltz.com/product/659-pc-banshee-polished-stainless-steel-bolt-kit/

I run trails and winding dirt roads….never really been into the dune scene here.

The front oem shocks ARE less than desirable. I upgraded those and it’s a world of difference. But what really makes ANY shock (front or rear) work incredible, is having them valved and setup for your riding style and weight. 

in terms of power….the world is your limit, but tight trails and (depending on the build) a violent powerband can get you into trouble. 

my personal bike has aftermarket front shocks, stock rear, stock a-arms, F.A.S.T. dune/play port, trued and welded crank, cool head with (if I remember right) 21cc domes, pod filters and v-force reeds along with fmf fatty exhaust. Running stock carbs. Able to run it on 93 pump gas (kicking about 152 compression)
-personally I think it’s a riot in the trails, BUT I will admit, there are times where the powerband snaps on me because of the tight trails and my gear selection……And it makes things “interesting” to say the least. I’m probably going to drop a front tooth on my sprocket choice and see if that gets me where I want.