HELP Back to dual oem carbs and fresh top end

Eric03k

Originally purchased quad with single carb set up and after riding year and a half i decided to put dual carb back into it....i had checked cylinder compression on both cylinders and measured 100 psi. Quad was running ok just felt like it was missing that extra grunt from dual carbs....so took it to local shop to get top end freshened up and install 26mm mikuni carbs back on. But after completion quad has not rode like it should....after going back and forth with shop i decided to bring it home....and take a stab at it and possibly try another shop since im not banshee worthy yet...i have only rode quad down my residential street and sputters, back fires and lacks power Mid to full throttle or probably all range...this shop works with a dyno tuning/machine shop that got my heads port and polished with MX HEAD MOD that recommended certain jets. Got thrown in wiseco piston

66.5 mm  , bore and honed cylinder,  and ended with 160 cylinder compression on both sides.

Jet kit 310 main,  30 pilot,  ct needle in 3rd position.

Have removed air box , and rocking DUAL k&N filter pods, t5 pipes, timing set at zero "0" , running pump gas 91, oil mixture 32:1, my home elevation is 70 BUT i do most of my riding 1000 ft above elevation.  Any suggestions?? Im somewhat mechanically inclined , so i can probably adjust a thing or two....am i missing any additional info needed??please..felt more power with single set up and tired top end....

I forgot to mention, it fires up first kick, once warmed up it revs up without a hiccup,  sooo purtey , but once i get it going it sputters like mention and lack of power......its not as bad as it falling on its face , or stalling.  Its just a good enough cruiser to chase around the 80cc quads that are swarming around camp.

310 sounds big. You're running way too rich when you open up that throttle. Jet down... I'm guessing it doesn't sound very crisp either? 

Buy a jet kit. f.a.s.t. is a good place to order quality stuff.. south Texas banshee's videos on YouTube have been gold for me to learn all things banshee.

5 hours ago, pk31337 said:

searching here has been great too. I usually Google: "bansheehq jetting" or "bansheehq peg bolt size", etc... 

And get a clymer manual

Good read on that article.......obviously my carbs are clean and according to dyno shop that machined my heads adviced on this jetting size and needle position. And due to fact they were going back and forth repair shop and machine shop mentioned it could possibly have an ignition issue....dyno/machine shop was sure jetting not an issue so putting on dyno and fine jetting wouldn't help....... 

I say that only because I have a dune port  with a 4mil crank with 30/310 and I'm still a bit rich. Thinking about it though, even if you were off, it wouldn't make that much of a difference. + If the shop knows banshee's I'm sure they know better than me. 

Missed the bit about backfiring first time 🤔  does not sound like jetting at all actually. I'd check voltage everywhere and electrical components. Like mentioned: check tors delete components. If you know anyone else with a banshee try swapping out a few of the electrical components if you have no luck.

Any videos to hear it? What do your plugs look like? 

Strange that it revs fine, but sputters under load. 

Turkey weekend went out riding to El Mirage without my babay that was left behind in a local mechanic shop. It was truly missed😔. Throughout the first night i couldn't sleep just thinking about my sheeee..and the revelation i had throughout the night i remember seeing the top carburetor covers without a gaskets......could that be it ?? Leaky carbs?? Sucking air through the top cover??? I dont have have shee with me so cant not even try , test, or even comfort her....will get sheee by monday or tuesday regardless....mechanic "not the one that did the work" wanted to take a stab at it since i was going crazy trying to get it ready for turkey weekend and was over it..now im ready to to start checking stuff

Fyi...I have also swapped , coil with wires and boots from known good banshheee with same results before sending it to mechanic. I can actually swap module too.....but didnt think that would do anything since either it will run or not if bad module...

Sounds like you've checked all the electrical components.

I've been there. I love my banshee, stressed problems a bunch, and my build taught me a lot 😅

Gasket for carb bowl? Rubber in carb caps or boot connecting to reeds? (Have you checked your reeds?) 

If you're sucking in extra air anywhere from intake side, it can cause it to run lean. Check and see if your plugs say anything. 

17 hours ago, pk31337 said:

Sounds like you've checked all the electrical components.

I've been there. I love my banshee, stressed problems a bunch, and my build taught me a lot 😅

Gasket for carb bowl? Rubber in carb caps or boot connecting to reeds? (Have you checked your reeds?) 

If you're sucking in extra air anywhere from intake side, it can cause it to run lean. Check and see if your plugs say anything. 

I have not checked everything unfortunately theres couple things to try but that single day i had it was happy cause i was  taking her home and riding following day but it didn't ride good enough to rip her in trails so i just checked whatever was simple  and in reach......and was mentioning to the local mechanic about my issue and wanted to see if he could get it running for my ride but unfortunately he didn't..."well havent heard from him" it was turkey weekend so didnt want to bug him.......but ill call him later on today..to see if he worked on it or what he found...i have a game plan that i wish to see what i find.....want to swap cdi box, with another banshee i have here, compare stator resistance which i also found some specs online, and read plugs, and also possibly swap flywheel or atleast see how it looks like....i honestly dont have much faith he will get it going...lol..the gasket i found was missing was when i was checking to see if previous mechanic swapped the slides left to right or installing backwards...lil bottom arc has to be facing the rear....and thats when i removed top carb cover to see the slides off carb i saw bare metal..no gaskets on both tops......

Rubber boots good, andfloat bowl is good too...thanks again pk31!! Appreciate ur interest and help!!.im always the reader not much of starting topics. 

On 11/27/2022 at 4:20 PM, pk31337 said:

So update!! Anyone interested in my issue........its been with quad doctor " mehcaik" and found couple issues....he rejetted my mains from 310 to 280 and had an vacuum leak from top cover like i had mentioned... no more sputtering and engine sounded responsive but in test drive it would just wind up and no power. He took initiative to remove side cover to inspect clutches and upon removing cover found bolt head, and alot of metal debri, suspecting only clutches , he removed clutch carrier and found carrier was welded and clutches just fell apart...found where that head bolt came from and a clip from shaft was came off and damaged it unabling to secure the clip....he has a donor banshee that was gonna swap the clutches only but looks like im getting the shaft with damaged clip holder, carrier, and clutches. ..he ensures me it will work but if not he put on new parts with no extra labor ..just whatever parts cost.. ...i have a frankenstein bansheeee..buwahaha..hey as long it works...and saves me money ..its a win win situation for both...🤞🤞🤞🤞

Glad to know you've gotten to the bottom of it. My banshee has a crap ton of donor parts too. As long as it gets me riding though I'm happy. Ride the sand dunes? Maybe I'll catch you in Dumont or Glamis next month...

31 minutes ago, Eric03k said:

So update!! Anyone interested in my issue........its been with quad doctor " mehcaik" and found couple issues....he rejetted my mains from 310 to 280 and had an vacuum leak from top cover like i had mentioned... no more sputtering and engine sounded responsive but in test drive it would just wind up and no power. He took initiative to remove side cover to inspect clutches and upon removing cover found bolt head, and alot of metal debri, suspecting only clutches , he removed clutch carrier and found carrier was welded and clutches just fell apart...found where that head bolt came from and a clip from shaft was came off and damaged it unabling to secure the clip....he has a donor banshee that was gonna swap the clutches only but looks like im getting the shaft with damaged clip holder, carrier, and clutches. ..he ensures me it will work but if not he put on new parts with no extra labor ..just whatever parts cost.. ...i have a frankenstein bansheeee..buwahaha..hey as long it works...and saves me money ..its a win win situation for both...🤞🤞🤞🤞