banshee wont kick start but pull starting works

hey there I have an 87 banshee it won't fire up with the kick starter but if I pull start it it fires up. I rode it after getting it started it runs great strong pull but won't idle I just put bigger pilot jets in it and tried kicking it still won't start also if I get it fired up and have it in neutral after a couple times of revving it a bit the throttle gets hung up and will eventually come down on the rpms it almost seems like the cable is sticking somewhere any info would be appreciated as this is my first 2 stroke.

Ignition coils rarely fail. But the sometimes do. Definitely check your plug caps too. 

Hard starting like your referring to can also be a sign of low compression. Do a compression check as well. 

The hanging idle could be a sign of an air leak somewhere. So I'd recommend doing a leak down test. 

These are the things I would check if it were me.

Start with a compression check. Low compression will not kick start but WILL pull start. 

pull plugs, ignition off, hold throttle wide open and kick until the gauge stops climbing. I bet you’re around 90psi. You can also throw in a teaspoon of oil AFTER your initial readings and more than likely it will jump the compression by using the oil as a seal around the rings. I’ve seen this exact problem on a cr125.

report back after you get your readings….

Edited by Jereme6655