Underlighting

Justintoxicated

well it appears now that the circuit is working properly, Im going to have it tested out compleatly tomarrow..

On of the RED LED's still lights up, since they are in series that explains why the other appeared dead also. Perhaps it was just a defective LED, but for the price it had better not be!

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

depends on color, and watts. Its not jsut the bulbs but they need Heatsinks, Good thermal epoxy, and a specific voltage or current to run properly. The 5 watt LED's are very expensive up to $50, 1 watts are usually around $15-20 after shipping and HS. Lots of factors though, luckily the reds are amongst the cheaper ones. Still expensive toys to replace. Luckily their typical 1/2 life is aorund 10,000 + hours but they can go longer than that depedning on the light, HS, Bin, Voltage, Temperature etc. Anyways 10,000 of riding is quite a lot longer than my top-ends last :)

circuit was re-built and I tested the taillight amps, Perfect! Musta been a bad component...

Just need to insulate the 2 lights tomarrow (hopefully) and I'll be finished...Unfortunately the banshee is not running, but I may be able to simulate it with an old PC PSU for a picture, although the lights will be at a constant brightness in this case.

My dying PSU won't power the blue LED's and it buzzes just off the REDs...Actually the PSU was assumed dead but it's lighting up my fishtank ok heh...

Anyways Im trying to hotwire an old AT PSU but its not looking good, I think I may have fried it. If only the banshee would just run Id have pics already :(

ok, ok, after the PSU warmed up it started to work...Unfortunately i had already unmounted the lights...But I did manage to take these.

ledsupclose.jpg

Attempt to take a pic up close, came out better than expected

LEDsroom1.jpg

Here they are lighting up my whole room, more than enough to light up under my banshee as I said, but here is the proof.

LEDsroom2.jpg

Dunno why this one came out purple, the lights are still blue, and the LEd's on the computer are green like they are supposed to be...Like I said this color blue is close to the UV spectrum, so I guess it does strange thigns to my camera, and things that are neon react with it.

The prototype is compleate however the circuit is not looking as efficient as expected.

It appears at full power it will be sucking up roughly 17 watts (both blue and red), due to the components used, anything that is not needed by the LEDs is displaced by my regulator, meaning the LEDs can be at full brightness using less power, but when the bike is reved the extra power the LEDs do not need is disipated as heat.

for example at full power the 2 blue LEDs use up about 6-7 watts, but not all of the power is needed that the circuit uses so 5 watts is disipated as heat in my circuit.

The bright side is I could add another 3 watt LED, meaning the 3 LEDs would take up around 10 watts, and then only roughly 2 watts would be disipated by the circuit.

So the circuit is not very efficient but drives the LEDs PERFECT....

I ran the LEDs at 30% power and they still retained 60-70% brightness, So I decided to not run them at fill power. Im not going to run them at 30% either but around 70-80 would be a good compromise.

So now im thinking about going 3 Reds for the taillight and Possibly 3 blues, or lowering the power I run the blues at to about 70-80% (Still wicked bright, since the Voltage to Brightness Ratio is NOT linear)

Running these extra lights the circuit will still use about 17 watts, It's jsut that it will use more watts for lighting, vs heat that could melt the project box...

If I make these for others, I can customize it somewhat to how you would want it, different colors are different specs watts etc...

This also means that the circuit will not be wasting as much extra watts untill the bike is revved up to past the sum of the voltage of the LEDs.

What does all this mean? It means That if you need a more efficient lighting I CAN build it it also means that using certain colors such as red will use up alot less juice (about 8 watts vs 17-18! It also means I can adjust the brightness of the Circuit for you power consumption needs

what is the price roughly for one tail light 2 mounted below the stock and 2 in the center of the chasis all red

not sure yet, it really depends how many people are interested, the more people that are, the cheaper the parts will cost me (order in bulk). Somewhere around $100 though more than likely..But don't quote me on that yet...And definately wait for the pictures coming in about 2 weeks ;)

I'll order some extra reds I suppose. I think the taillgiht without optics (directed beam) might work better also, but the choice would be yours, I have to find a place to make me some brackets, I'm in the middle if enhancing the one shown in the picture, will take some time though.

what is the price roughly for one tail light 2 mounted below the stock and 2 in the center of the chasis all red

Ikikazz, I ordered enough LEDs to make you a setup (all red) since I had to order some for myself anyways. it will be a while though, I think I may have found someone to help me with the brackets too. I'll try to find out soon. I have alot of things going on right now, I need to get my shee running ASAP.