Underlighting

Justintoxicated

Anyone here underlight their banshee?

I was using some strobes for a while, they looked trick but the circuit boxes didn't hold up too great and I got tired of buying new ones. I heard Neons suck if you ride Hard and they were mroe expensive and breakalble than strobes.

I have on order some 3 watt LED's 2 of them in blue. they are 30 lumens each. I was thinking that these would work great. But it will be a while before I get them running with the holiday season so near.

Just wanted to see some pics and comments from others underlighting their shees.

UPDATED PICS!

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sounds good Minkia glad to hear you have not had any issues. Most people I have talked to have had problems with the neons frying (maybe from vibration or crappy circuits)...at least those that do not run battery kits. Ill definately post some pics in the pictures forum when I finish. I have just about have everything I need for the Circuit, minus a few resistors and the project bax and some thermal epoxy.

The mounts will be the hardest part to fabricate, but A dremel should hopefully be enough.

• 2 weeks later...

Well here is what I made, close to finishing them up today, just have to drill the mounting holes.

The 3 watt Blues are 30 lumens

The 1 watt Reds (The big ones with optics) are 27 lumens

Blue high power LED's just are not as bright as others, the 1 watt blues that look the same as the reds are only 10 lumens, but most other 3 watt LEDS are up in the 80 lumens range!

Anyways I had to sacrifice some brightness for Bluuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu underlighting but I think you will all be suprised when I light this up. Not many people seem interested in this post, but jsut wait till I get some pics.

Heres the beta setup Ver .8 ; V.5 was just a taillight and my prototype, which was still very cool im getting alot better.

Here is version .5 (2 1 watt Cyan LEDS 30 @ lumens)

taillight1.jpg

taillight2.jpg

Improvements over .5 are the following

more sturdy twin circuit construction provides increased power.

Smaller Project enclosure

Better thermal interfacing material (Artic Silver Epoxy)

Modified Taillight bracket (LED's do not have to be seperated, and rubber insulation rather than clear silicon, perhaps more to come)

Added 2 3 watt LEDs for underlighting yet still shrunk project enclosure containing a dual circuit drasticaly.

The brackets are still betas as they are not polished or anything but will work.

lightkit.jpg

the twin LED holding bracket is a little over 3 inches across

action pics soon to come.

Hey, I think its a pretty cool idea!! Looks like you got it figured out there!!! Would you consider making one for sale?? Nice work!!! :D

Yes I can probably make one for anyone who wants it. But your probably not going to like the price.

These LEDS are expensive, and everything is made by hand (circuit too) so I won't post a price untill after I post pics of me lighting these things up :ph34r:

thanks for the encouragement though :)

I can imagine crafting that circuitry together wasn't an "easy" task!! I didn't figure it to be cheap, all truly custom work has a higher price tag! I think the circuit you made up looked damn good, way above my head! I shall patiently await the final product, then maybe we could discuss a cost for your work. Again, nice job Justintoxicated!! :D

OMG I lit this up and had everythign installed friday night! ....Before I discovered a coolant leak in my cylinders, the shee is now down for reapir. All I can say was Holy Shit those only having olittle lights are bright. I was worried that only having one up fron't and one behind would not be enough to light up my engine's NOSS head, but its enough to instead light up my entire garadge, and these ones are only 30 lumens each Vs other colors like cyan that are rated at 80! The blue is just my favorite color for this type of lighting, and anyting NEON seems to react to it like a black light...This is one of the coolest colors I have ever sceen and staring at the LED's directly they make a strange irrey halo of light.

You will all be suprised I think im not sure if my camera will pick it up properly. My friend put those cyans on his 3 wheeler and now some more friends want me to make headlights for their 50's!

Not sure what blew in my circuit, but it took the red taillgiht with it. I think it was my regulator (I drove it in spec but I guess shit happens). Ill have to make a new circuit soon. Otherwise ill be sure to take a pic of the blue underlighting for you, the smile on my face was huge untill the red's went out....

Shit man sorry to hear about the circuit blowing!!! From what you were saying it sounds like a beam of light came down from heaven on your banshee!! I hope you get it fixed soon, my anticipation of the looks of this is killing me!! If you're still interested in selling one of these(when you fix the problem) PLEASE let me know!! :D

Travis