Need Help Jetting Stockers

Jdeiter

well here i am trying to get my shee setup for snow. i had dual 35.5s on it with t5's previously. before switching to my oversized carbs, i had the stockers jetted for the toomey's as well with the dynojet kit that comes with them. im currently having problems jetting my stockers for the stock pipes. other mods include k&n in the airbox, half inch reed spacers, and boyesen dual stage reeds. im in PA at about 500ft above sea level. i have the stock needles as well as the dynojets and main jets from 190 on up to 270. normally i dont have any problems with jetting, but it seems that no matter what main i have in, i cant get it right. i'd appreciate it if somebody with more experience could give me a good place to start.

thanks,

jason

i need an opinion whether or not i should use the dynojet needles or stick with stock and i also need to know a basic place to start jetting them. i have a variety of main jets and dont know where to start. i only have stock pilot jet, but dont think i should have to change it. whats a good main jet to start off with and what needle clip position?

For stock pipes, right? With a K&N and reeds, I'd use the stock needles, with the clips one position leaner than stock (2nd clip from the blunt end), stock pilots should be fine. If the airbox lid is off, start with 240 mains, if the lid is on try 230's. If it's real cold you might start a size or two larger on the mains (you said snow so it's probably cold, try starting with 260 with no lid or 250 with lid and work your way down if it bogs at WOT), but that should be a safe place to start. Good luck.

• 1 month later...

ben, i just got around to jetting my shee. i went with stock needles and 260 mains. it started up with the choke on 3 kicks, ran for a few seconds, and then stalled. now when i kick it, it sounds like it wants to run, then stalls before the rpm ever pick up. it'll putt for a second, then die. what do you think i should do? theres plenty of spark with my new stator and a new k&n on it. i am using an airbox lit w/o snorkel and with a cut lid.

260's might be a hair rich, I'd say 250 mains, raise the needles to the 3rd clip from the blunt end, stock pilots, air screws about 1 turn out...You might want to check the choke tube between the carbs, and the slides to make sure they are not reversed...Is tors disconnected??

i have all of the TORS taken off. i put 240 mains in, 3rd clip w/ 1.5 turns out and it wants to start up, but nothing. it has plenty of spark and the lights shine a little when i kick it, but other than that, it's puts for a second. i noticed that the plugs seem wet when i checked them so i changed the head gasket. it was oil on the plug, but im running 40:1 so that seemed wierd. anybody have suggestions? im about ready to give up on it

It can't be the jetting w/ what I"ve suggested. It'd still start and run pretty damn good....Did you clean the carbs w/ an air compressor? I'd do that in case you have dried up crap in the pilots....the bowls in the carbs are different. One has a brass tube and a little jet in the bowl where the other doesn't....

I also think that there's something wrong with your choke system. The problem you are desribing sounds exactly like what happened when I forgot to reconnect the choke tube between the carbs but you checked that so maybe the bowles are switched like previously mentioned. One more thing that could be a long shot but possible is that you could be simply running out of gas and need to try switching to reserve. In either case on mine it will start or fire a couple of times acting like it wants to, and if it starts it will want to bog when you try to give it any throttle and soon drop the left cylinder. Even though its running out of gas the plugs still look wet and oily. Good Luck!

i have a full tank of gas and the bowls are full everytime i change the main. next im going to completely clean out my carb and give them a good overhaul. could somebody tell me more about the different float bowls? which side should the bowl be w/ the brass tube? i think mine is on the left, or clutch, side.

i have a full tank of gas and the bowls are full everytime i change the main. next im going to completely clean out my carb and give them a good overhaul. could somebody  tell me more about the different float bowls? which side should the bowl be w/ the brass tube? i think mine is on the left, or clutch, side.

Left side....some of the new shees both have the brass tube, but only one bowl has the little jet in the bottom of the bowl...It should be in the left carb...