Westcoast Banshee in Indiana/Advice Requested

Maui Jim

Good afternoon. I have recently purchased a 2006 Banshee from the Westcoast and brought to Indiana. The quad was basically a brand new 06 with some mods. I have been working with it to get it jetted correctly. The problem is I have never rode a Banshee before. It has been 25 years since I have messed with 2 strokes also.. so that doesn't help. I just don't know how the Banshee should perform....It showed up with Toomey T6 full exhaust and carb needles, No top on air box with K&N. It had 270 main jets and was cutting out at top end so I started working with the quad. I have stopped at 360 main jets. The top end runs smooth and crisp. I am not sure if this is a problem or the nature of the beast... but the low and midrange studders until I roll on the throttle a little more and it cleans out and hits the power band. Does this sound normal for low to midrange throttle to be studdering and loss of power and higher throttle and it cleans out? Is it possible the mods on this Banshee make it a top end only quad? I have since raised the needles one notch from 3rd notch down to the 2nd notch(5 total notches). Still seems about the same. I have done plug chops consistently and the plugs have looked great regardless. A bit light with the 270s in it but still nothing too crazy. If you all have any thoughts or guidance on this it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for your time

From what I've heard t6's are more of a mid range pipe, personally I think it sound like your mains are really big but I'm not sure because my stuff has big carbs, if it was breaking up and falling on its face at high rpm, check your plug caps, the caps will unthread off the plug wires and then you can test them with an ohm meter, anywhere from 4.5-5 is good, if they come in any lower I'd replace them, mine was seriously falling on its face at high rpm, caps tested bad, replaced them and it runs like a top

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

14 hours ago, hoppedupandcutdown said:

what's the elevation difference? 360 is too big, try a 280. Like said above, check plug caps.

800ft elevation.  The top end kept dropping out until I got to the 360(started at 270s). Now the top end is perfect. Main jets control top end correct? If so then how is the 360 too big? Plug caps are good, thanks for the tip OR and HoppedUP

9 hours ago, #1JUANstunna said:

Im here in Indiana and never ran anything bigger than a 300 on a similar set up.  What part of the state are you in. You obviously not on my side of the state since I'm within a few miles of the highest point in Indiana, 1257 ft.

Juan... thanks for the info on that. I am near Bloomington. Where are you located?

I can’t be sure there isn’t anything done inside the engine on this banshee. When I got it, it look brand new but with the aftermarket parts on it. This is all I have to go on..... It does run pretty fast, but I know the Banshee is known for that.

I kept going up on the main jets until I ended on the 360s. Before I got to the 360s the very top end kept falling out. So I finally got that dialed in.  Also since I posted this I think I have the midrange fixed. I took the needle clips up 2 notches and it cleaned up the midrange.  It’s running a lot better low and mid range now. Again I’m not sure how the banshee is supposed to run but I do think I am close...  

30 minutes ago, Maui Jim said:

Juan... thanks for the info on that. I am near Bloomington. Where are you located?

I can’t be sure there isn’t anything done inside the engine on this banshee. When I got it, it look brand new but with the aftermarket parts on it. This is all I have to go on..... It does run pretty fast, but I know the Banshee is known for that.

I kept going up on the main jets until I ended on the 360s. Before I got to the 360s the very top end kept falling out. So I finally got that dialed in.  Also since I posted this I think I have the midrange fixed. I took the needle clips up 2 notches and it cleaned up the midrange.  It’s running a lot better low and mid range now. Again I’m not sure how the banshee is supposed to run but I do think I am close...  

I'm up north of Richmond about 15 miles.

Get a little time on the plugs and pull them out and look at the color. If they are tan run it.