Overheating/coolant boiling??

Hey guys,

I just got back from Upstate NY on a trip I take every year. My shee is overheating like crazy. Most of the riding we did was in the woods on trails and some nice hill climbs. Every time I went up a hill climb or rode it hard it got extremely hot. When I shut it down I can hear the coolant boiling and A LOT of steam coming out from around the radiator. I went through about 2 bottles of ICE because I had to keep refilling the overflow tank in the rear. Every morning I woke up and went to ride it I noticed my front right A-arm was wet and the left side was dry along with the overflow bottle in the back being bone dry. I checked it nights before and it was half full. So the coolant is also coming out of the overflow hose under the radiator on the right side.

I had this problem two years ago on this trip so I replaced the plastic gear in the pump with an aluminum one and it was OK for a while. Now I seem to be having this problem again except worse. Any help is appreciated..

Thanks

TJ

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Appreciate the info guys. I was also told my radiator cap could cause a problem also so I’m going to purchase one tonight. I already have a billet impeller.

I was looking at the CV4 cap but don’t know which fitting to go with. 1.4 bar or 2.0?

Not all billet impellers are better than stock. 

try the cap, but still look for leaks and check out the core of the radiator. If there is any scale visible take it to a radiator shop and have them service it, or replace it.

Not all billet impellers are better than stock. 
try the cap, but still look for leaks and check out the core of the radiator. If there is any scale visible take it to a radiator shop and have them service it, or replace it.

Appreciate the help man. I’ll check all that out.

What size cap do I go with 1.4 bar or 1.6? I did some research and getting different answers different places.

Ill ask this here since it's IMO relevant. On the top of the radiator near the cap, there's an small exit. I have that line zip ties to my frame so it goes on the ground. Is that ok? I think years ago the bike came with an overflow. I just want to make sure that's ok.

that is just the overflow.  In reality to have a airless system, you want it to go into a bottle with coolant in it, so when it cools down the system can recover that coolant back into the rad, but in most applications it wont effect anything