Ran better when the carbs were setup wrong

Gazlay43

So I bought a Banshee off a guy who lived at about 700 feet above sea level, which is close to the elevation I plan on riding most of the time. I live at around 2000 feet above sea level. It ran pretty good when I picked it up. Got it home and noticed the choke tube was missing and he also had the slides in the wrong carbs. He was was running an aftermarket uni filter with no lid. I switched to K&N pods. Now that I have the carbs back together with the choke tube and slides in their proper places, it's not running well at all. Pulled the carbs and they have 280 mains and 25 pilots. It currently has Toomey pipes and pod filters. Being that I'm at 2000 feet, is a 280 main still too lean? I did some searching in the jetting thread and saw that a lot of guys are running a 27.5 pilot and much larger mains than what I have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ya originally he had the flat side of the slide towards the filter so I fixed that. The mains are definitely 280s. I'm not sure why it's running so bad now. He said the carbs were just rebuilt but you know how that goes. I'll pull em off again and give the jets a good cleaning and go from there

Most of the pipe manufactures recommend running a 320 main if you don't have an airbox. Starting to worry that the 280 mains I have will be too lean where I ride. Some say stock pilot is fine, some recommend a 30. Guess I'll have to order a kit and figure out what the bike likes.

And I run 280 and 25 w/ Toomeys and open box at 1500ft no problem.
You're a little higher so you won't be leaner.
Double check the mains, if it ran OK with the slides in backwards, they had to be 200's ish.

Where I ride mainly is actually around 700 ft. I'm thinking the 280 might be a little lean there.

My bikes were set up to run at glamis. 335' elevation

My bike has a cool head (21 or 22 cc domes) fatty's, stock carbs, vf2's, dyna set at +4, 280 main, 27.5 pilot and 2nd from top clip with toomey needle. 

Wifes bike has a cool head 22 cc domes , toomey pipes, stock carbs, boysen rad valves, K&n with air box, +4 timing, 270 main, 30 pilot, toomey needle 2nd clip from bottom. 

Might not have the needle positions right, been a LONG time since i have had them apart

Both bikes run 927@ 32:1