Timing question

jeremyshee01

Finally got my shee jetted pretty good (thanks to guys on here) but now I have a question on timing. I have a 4 mil 421 from vitos, bills pipes at the moment, 35's, open air box, v force 4, 93 pump, 22cc domes (not sure if u would need to know anything else). I'm at +4 now but had one reputable shop tell me I need to be at +6 and another reputable shop tell me to keep it at 4. Really don't wanna rebuild this thing, any input on what's best/what I need?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

If you were looking to extract every bit of power out of that motor and didn't care about having to rebuild after a few runs than higher timing is ok. but if you you are looking for longevity than lower timing is better for you.  As stated above with your combo you will be happy with staying at 4*. 

I would rather ride back to my truck than get towed....

+4 has proven to be a typically safe option. There are two areas to read the spark plug when checking if the motor is happy with current timing. Most will look at the strap near the 90* bend. A nice line seperating two colors indicates happy. Also look how far the soot is from the top of the center electrode. You want it nice and tight. If it's running clean up in to the plug beyond a millimeter (by eye, there are other precise ways to measure) a change is needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1