No spark

Hello, I have a 92 banshee in front of me. Buddy bought it with the guy saying it had no spark. Got it home and tested the on and off switch, kill switch, stator, ignition coil, swapped a cdi with an aftermarket one , set pickup gap, swapped flywheels, checked ground on voltage regulator, and tested for resistance on every wire in the harness itself. All wires zerod out (0.00). Does anyone have any recommendations??

i think when he says all wires zeroed out that they all are conducting correctly with no resistance. 

i have never seen anyone have a great amount of luck with aftermarket parts just so you know. 

have you taken the plug caps off the wires, trimmed them by about 1/2" and put them back together? 

On June 16, 2017 at 1:07 PM, ginger said:

i think when he says all wires zeroed out that they all are conducting correctly with no resistance. 

i have never seen anyone have a great amount of luck with aftermarket parts just so you know. 

have you taken the plug caps off the wires, trimmed them by about 1/2" and put them back together? 

I have trimmed be plug wires and put them back, no luck. & that's what I meant by "zeroing out"... Sorry for the confusion. The only reason I used an aftermarket cdi is because that's all I had available for that year model banshee (92 with the circle plug harness)... A friend didn't care if I pulled the ends off to see if that corrected my problem. I have 3 other banshees, but all of them have the newer style harness

On June 16, 2017 at 1:20 PM, hoppedupandcutdown said:

If it has had a new stator or pick-up, (not OEM) Check that the wires/pins are in the correct spots in the connectors.

It has one of my old stators with an adaptor on it. The stator is still good, it fired the last time I had to use it. It is an OEM yamaha stator. 

On June 16, 2017 at 1:23 PM, hoppedupandcutdown said:

So you have held a spark plug to ground and verified no spark? (Had to ask)

So it's never fired since bought?

Yes, I have spun the engine over numerous times with plug grounded to a head stud.. No arc. It is also grounded as it should be underneath the voltage regulator. The quad was bought not running and has never had fire. 

I would make sure the TORS system is in check.  Either totally disabled or connected.  If the TORS box is plugged in, unplug it.  BUT, beware, if the TORS system is plugged in and it is not firing, it is likely indicating the carbs are partially open and it may run away on you.  

The TORS system works by looking for switches to be made on the carb tops and the thumb throttle box.  

If the TORS is disabled, look at the wiring diagram for the ground wire that returns ground the CDI for "off" mode from the switch, which stops the ignition.  I have seen where the switches do not work right and simply unplugging that will enable the CDI for testing.  Also make sure the key switch is working properly.  

A switch working correctly will show low ohms (1.0 or less) when closed, and OL when open.  If the switch reads high ohms but not OL when open, there is a problem and the switches need cleaned or replaced.  

Brandon

Mull Engineering