Ported Stock cylinders vs Serval

BBoy69

New to the forum here and need some advice on motor setup. So I sold my raptor to build a banshee from the frame up ;)because its just been a dream of mine to do that. I have pretty much everything frame wise and just bought a motor but idk how I would like to set it up. I ride 75% backroads/dirtroads & 25% trails. I had two options in mind going the expensive route and buying a 4mm serval kit or just going 4mm ported stock cylinders and was wonder what would be different between the two? And also would the toomey t5's I have be ok with a serval set up or should I take a different pipe?

Edited by BBoy69

New to the forum here and need some advice on motor setup. So I sold my raptor to build a banshee from the frame up because its just been a dream of mine to do that. I have pretty much everything frame wise and just bought a motor but idk how I would like to set it up. I ride 75% backroads/dirtroads & 25% trails. I had two options in mind going the expensive route and buying a 4mm serval kit or just going 4mm ported stock cylinders and was wonder what would be different between the two? And also would the toomey t5's I have be ok with a serval set up or should I take a different pipe?

Hmmm. Ryan? Kalin?

I've got a 4m st cyl 390 and they both have 4m 421 servals.

They run really similar. Last weekend my stock cyl dune port ran a 4.93 at the track and I think Kalin's ran a 4.95.

My stk cyl is a great duner and can roll into a wheelie with a 6 over arm. It is really a great play bike. But, there is more to a good running set up than just the motor. Everything else has to compliment it.

Either can make a great set up. And the stk cyl absolutely has the potential to perform as well as the 421 serval.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

I would go the stock cylinder route if I knee what kind of porting I would like but unfortunately I dont lol all I know is my goal is to get around 70-80ish HP outta her and I've been told a serval has a sweet spot for that but I've also been told stock cylinders can achieve it but it'll more than like be maxed out with stock cylinders and the serval won't 

I would go the stock cylinder route if I knee what kind of porting I would like but unfortunately I dont lol all I know is my goal is to get around 70-80ish HP outta her and I've been told a serval has a sweet spot for that but I've also been told stock cylinders can achieve it but it'll more than like be maxed out with stock cylinders and the serval won't 

I would talk to a builder before making that decision. I think they are both maxed at about 80hp with a dune/trail port.

More can be gained out of them both but you won't like the power curve for trail riding.

1 hour ago, lastnline75 said:

Buy the Serval for the type of riding you do. Better low end and more torque. Good useable power allover.

FKN JUNK

Will I need a lockout and override for a serval & could I keep my t5's

Will I need a lockout and override for a serval & could I keep my t5's

Anything up around that hp is borderline for needing a lockup. I run one on mine as well as a duneable override but I had a modified trans before and it shifted well also. Pro mod cut type trans that is now in my son's bike. The T5s will probably limit some of the power to be had with either motor. I run shearers and used to run CPIs. Kalin runs shearers on his and I think ryan runs snipers.

2 minutes ago, spurdy said:

Anything up around that hp is borderline for needing a lockup. I run one on mine as well as a duneable override but I had a modified trans before and it shifted well also. Pro mod cut type trans that is now in my son's bike. The T5s will probably limit some of the power to be had with either motor. I run shearers and used to run CPIs. Kalin runs shearers on his and I think ryan runs snipers.

I'll probably my end up selling the t5's anyway they were pretty much giving to me off my buddy wreck banshee lol but I know the stock cylinders will need porting and if anybody redline racing or Herr jugs will be doing that if I go that way. Would a serval cylinder need porting to reach that kind of HP as well?

I'll probably my end up selling the t5's anyway they were pretty much giving to me off my buddy wreck banshee lol but I know the stock cylinders will need porting and if anybody redline racing or Herr jugs will be doing that if I go that way. Would a serval cylinder need porting to reach that kind of HP as well?

My duner was ported by kevin and I've got a drag motor ported by cam.

Wouldn't be afraid to go either way there. But I've heard, well, everyone has an opinion.

I do most of my dealings through cam at redline now.

Not sure what needs to be done to the serval or numbers they put out "as cast".

3 hours ago, JessePerron said:

what claude said... The DL is a happy medium between the stock cyl and the CP cylinders as far as price wise go..... and either one will hit the HP mark you want

On a side note to your comment about which builder.....   I'd consider FAST as one of your builder options as well ...his pricing is hard to beat on parts on top of everything as well.... 

FAST is pretty much going to be doing my transmission mods so I may just go with him 

• Like 1

FAST is pretty much going to be doing my transmission mods so I may just go with him 

My old 4mil serval ran great and hard for a LOT of hours from fast. It had over 800 hours on it for sure before it needed any work done.

Giving away "TSS" for FREE!!!

9 minutes ago, rjdgriff said:

My old 4mil serval ran great and hard for a LOT of hours from fast. It had over 800 hours on it for sure before it needed any work done.

I'm probably gonna go with driveline assassin cylinder just for the stealth look but I still can not get over how far down serval power comes in 

I'm probably gonna go with driveline assassin cylinder just for the stealth look but I still can not get over how far down serval power comes in 

You won't fool anyone that knows what they are looking for. Just saying

• Like 1