what gauge tip to check compression?

I want to check compression in my banshee. We have a gauge and the end fits into the spark plug hole but wont register any pressure when kicking it. At the top of the threads it has a green gasket. Just seeing if there is a different tip i need or maybe gauge is bad.

I want to check compression in my banshee. We have a gauge and the end fits into the spark plug hole but wont register any pressure when kicking it. At the top of the threads it has a green gasket. Just seeing if there is a different tip i need or maybe gauge is bad.

The tip should match the spark plug in length. If you use the wrong tip, it should still register pressure, it just won't be accurate.

If you're not reading any pressure it can only be a couple of things:

Bad gauge

Improper use

Very large leak

Can't think of anything else it could be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The tip should match the spark plug in length. If you use the wrong tip, it should still register pressure, it just won't be accurate.

If you're not reading any pressure it can only be a couple of things:

Bad gauge

Improper use

Very large leak

Can't think of anything else it could be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you. Im sure its the gauge. I will see about getting another one.

Make sure the tester has a valve.

Does it go up at all while kicking?

Actually we tried it the other day on a banshee i was looking at and it didnt work but i ended up not buying that one anyway. I was looking at some on amazon. 14mm would be correct for the tip right? Some on there come with 12 and 14 or 14 and 18 mm

Good job, that is the tip you want on your tester to match the plug.

thank you zilla. The banshee i got seems fine as far as power from top to bottom and starts quick on first kick. I just want to check compression for my piece of mind.

So far I have only had one problem. I rode it the other day for around 30 min or so and it died and wouldnt start back right away. I switched it to reserve and started right up. I didnt think it could be low on fuel but i put more in it yesterday anyway. Again yesterday it did it again and this time i had to pull choke out one notch. Started immediately. Pushed choke back in and it was fine. I really dont know what to do. Stock motor never opened, fmf pipe/silencer, k&n filter with outerwear, snorkel off of airbox.

Do a leak down for peace of mind.

Wow, I was hoping not to have to do anything like that. I have no idea how to do that. Thats why i bought one that runs strong, light use and has had no motor work done. I am going to do a compression check when the gauge gets here.

Hot motor needs the throttle cracked open just a bit on start-up.

Try that next time.

When it dies and i try to restart, it sounds like no fuel, that bog noise under the gas tank (not sure how to describe noise)

Edited by ckylesworld1