what chain and how long

jWEBB

I like the JT X-ring chains, 520 pitch. X1R2 I think is the model I use. They are good quality, and very affordable. Have had good luck with them on my streetbike, my 450r, and the banshee. How long exactly for a +4 I'm not sure.

My feelings are that any good name brand X-ring chain will do very well, and last longer than any non o-ring chain. The O-ring design helps to keep the grease in, and the dirt out for longer life. It's worth the extra money you spend the first time around. Keep it tight, use chain wax often, and it will last a long time.

edit: X-ring is just a fancy O-ring

Edited by phillybuilt

ok i have a +4 swing arm on a 4mil, ported by redline.

chain broke

what size?

what brand will hold up?

X-ring is different than o-ring chain. The seal is completely different. However, the use of either will rob power. Now you have to make a choice.....while an x-ring chain may last longer if well maintained, is it worth the power loss?

For me, I run a DID MX 520 chain on all my bikes. I've no issue to replace them when they wear out, but in the grand scheme of things, chain is a wearable item anyway. Just like oil and air filters. Cost of riding.

One thing you don't want is a broken chain and a set of cases that have a hole in them. You can buy a lot of chain for those kind of dollars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a +4 swing arm too and I just buy extra chain length and just cut the chain to the actual length needed.  I'm sure 120 links is plenty.  I usually buy the primary drive x-ring gold coated from RM ATV because its a cheaper x-ring chain and I ride the OR dunes and sometimes ride the beach.  The gold coated helps keeps the chain from getting corroded and looks better over time.  I have a 421 cub and seem to get a decent life out of this chain.

When i needed a chain for my redline ported engine, i gave redline a call. He sells really good quality strong chain. Mine was a little long but it's no problem cutting it. He even sent me extra master link which has helped once already.