Cheetah squish and pitting on pistons and domes

Cali421

Lol no one answered my questions. So will I be able to just hone and replace this pistons /rings ?

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

What did the bore look like? No major scaring? Typically with nikasil you just do a fast diamond hone only if it's needed, and just keep chucking new Pistons and rings in there. Try to avoid honing it if possible as it's just a coat of plating in there.

I have honed nikasil many times with no issues, the key is finding the rite home shop with the rite home. Have them put a lil pattern in there to knock the glaze off and so the new rings will seat properly. Make sure there are no areas where there was metal sharing going on

It looked ok just shiny, I haven't took a real good look yet. I'll take a better look tonight and get some pics. Thanks

If you can't feel any big grooves throw new pistons in it and go. Can maybe clean that dome up with scotch bright as well.

Edit: looked back at the pic. Piston may be usable too.

Check the thickness of your cylinder base gasket when you pull it apart.  Cub cylinders (I assume PV cylinders are simmilar) are made to run with a .012" thickness base gasket.  I has a similar squish issue (too big) because I had a stock base gasket witch is around .030" with cub cylinders.  Around .040" squish is ideal.  That said, I doubt a squish around .060" would cause detonation issues, but it might explain less than expected performance though.  You might try a 1cc larger dome (less compression) or run 110 octane to get rid of the detonation problem.  The crank seal could be your problem, but I had a motor that detonated on one side before and it wasn't the crank seal.

Check the thickness of your cylinder base gasket when you pull it apart. Cub cylinders (I assume PV cylinders are simmilar) are made to run with a .012" thickness base gasket. I has a similar squish issue (too big) because I had a stock base gasket witch is around .030" with cub cylinders. Around .040" squish is ideal. That said, I doubt a squish around .060" would cause detonation issues, but it might explain less than expected performance though. You might try a 1cc larger dome (less compression) or run 110 octane to get rid of the detonation problem. The crank seal could be your problem, but I had a motor that detonated on one side before and it wasn't the crank seal.

Will do thanks, what was causing your's to detonate?

• Like 1

Check the thickness of your cylinder base gasket when you pull it apart. Cub cylinders (I assume PV cylinders are simmilar) are made to run with a .012" thickness base gasket. I has a similar squish issue (too big) because I had a stock base gasket witch is around .030" with cub cylinders. Around .040" squish is ideal. That said, I doubt a squish around .060" would cause detonation issues, but it might explain less than expected performance though. You might try a 1cc larger dome (less compression) or run 110 octane to get rid of the detonation problem. The crank seal could be your problem, but I had a motor that detonated on one side before and it wasn't the crank seal.

Many of the domes in the Cheetahs have a convergant squish band. So even at sixty thou, they still detonate. Yay Trinity.

Will do thanks, what was causing your's to detonate?

Could have been a few different things, too low of octane, too tight on the squish, overheating and going WOT up the Sand Mountain drag hill too many times.