What to do as my cylinders age

Jgspahn

What are my options above a 65.5mm bore. I have a great port job on these, but I've learned lessons with them as well and right now one side isnt smoking as much as the other so it's time for a compression test.. wiseco is the only trusted piston I know, but they only go over size above that to 66mm. I've been told that's the max. So what's the best option here? Aftermarkets that can be resleeved eventually but are big $$ or find a newer pair of stocks and have them reported, or have the ones I have sleeved (which I don't know how much I trust).

They go to 66.25 and 66.5 in 513 series (stock stroke or short rod 4mil)

Be sure your domes can accept this bore size though because some wont and you will need new domes. Best option is have another set ported. Resleeve cost isnt worth it usually and still have to port the sleeve to match.

What are my options above a 65.5mm bore. I have a great port job on these, but I've learned lessons with them as well and right now one side isnt smoking as much as the other so it's time for a compression test.. wiseco is the only trusted piston I know, but they only go over size above that to 66mm. I've been told that's the max. So what's the best option here? Aftermarkets that can be resleeved eventually but are big $$ or find a newer pair of stocks and have them reported, or have the ones I have sleeved (which I don't know how much I trust).

I had a pair of stock ported cylinders re sleeved. It all depends on what you want. The ones I had were a Patriot Racing cylinders. I got them cheap because the stock sleeve had a crack. The cost of the re sleeve job was about the same price as buying a pair of stock cylinders, paying for a port job, then doing the finish bore.  The nice thing is you start out with a bran new set of bores. I went with big bore sleeves because you might as well gain a few CC's while your at it. There are different sleeve sizes options. The ones I had were 66-68mm bore. Some guys say that big bore sleeves choke the transfer ports but my cylinders still had aluminum next to the sleeves so it didn't on mine.  I could see that happening if you go with the larger sized sleeves. With a 66-68mm bore I just ran blaster pistons, and big bore domes with the blaster piston angle. 

I had Patriot Racing do the resleeve job. That way when they are opening up the new sleeve ports they are done correctly since they were the ones who did the original port job.

• 2 months later...