Leaky boot?

My 2004 banshee is acting like it has an intake leak, slightly higher than expected idle, idle slowly rises if I bring it down by putting it in gear and forcing it lower. all that.

I went ahead and sprayed some carb cleaner and the idle does drop, seems like the area of the right boot. I went ahead and did a leak down, with soapy water sprayed onto the intake to see if I just had a leak at a gasket, or an actual crack in a boot. with 5 PSI in the motor, I couldn't get any bubbles on the intake side of the motor at all.

Tomorrow after work I'll take the carbs and boots off for a thorough inspection of the boots, but why would it leak pulling the vacuum, but not leak under pressure. To me the pressure should open the hole more. Any input?

Also, the leak isn't very bad at all, pulling the choke out slightly, maybe 1/4 choke or less, makes it run like you'd expect with the choke pulled.

Save a post, if I do find a leak in the boot tomorrow, where's a good place to get some? Theres a set on ebay for under $40, but I'm kind of leary on that since FAST has them for 30 each, the quality on the ebay can't be that great.

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm about ready to say there is no leak. If I give a full pressure, half second spray of carb cleaner, the rpms do drop, but going through and lightly coating every inch from the reeds back to the filters doesn't produce the rpm drop.

What are the odds it's pulling some cleaner through the filters and I'm just imagining a leak?

Edit: can plugs be read from just an idle?

Could I warm it up, put in new plugs and just let it idle for a few minutes and see what they look like?

Edited by Dan7305