My Little Soap Box...

Wheatchex

Alright here goes...

First the moderator issue: mods like them or not are needed to maintain the focus of the forums and to uphold the forum to the standards by which they are governed and were created. If it offends someone that their post was removed or editied, they must have posted something that did not meet the standards set by Lee. Being a moderator is a tough job lest it becomes one of personality conflicts and the losers being the rest of us. So give them some slack.

Second the issue of newbie's: I remember back when I was on and I knew a little about the bike. I got answers by asking and helped where I could. I gave and still give answers that are based on fact or sound reasoning. I may not have the exact answer but at least the one I give will help point towards the direction of the correct answer. Because of this I earned respect from the other members. Over time I gathered a lot of knowlege through reading answers and by research on my own. I did this because I am interested and want to know more. Now it seems as though those that have gone through the same process are forgetting what it was like being the new guy. Give the new people a chance to ask their questions and help them out. Yes the search engine is available, but sometimes you may not get the correct wording to get the answers you are looking for. Help them out by either posting a link or by giving them a good answer. They will keep coming back and will help others. The worst way to keep people interested is to ignore them or give them mean or shitty answers. I personally have answered many of the same questions over and over again. Yes it gets tiring so I've slowed down quite a bit. A lot of the issues you guys are having is because of the growth of the number of people here on the board. I remember when there were less than 1000 people registered. Now it's over 10000. Not everyone is active nor will they be if they are treated badly.

Third the issue of "assholes": Everyone has the right to express their opinion. And you may disagree with it, but name calling solves nothing other than more disagreement and bad feelings. If you disagree then state it plainly and give your reasons why and hopefully a meaningfull discussion will result. Sometimes its just best to ignore them and they will go away. Some people like the attention they get by stiring the pot, ignore them and they will go away to some other forum to get their attenion fix. Don't get wrapped up and take things personally here. Life's too short to worry about things you can't control like other people's opinions. Try to see things from their side if possible and don't just attack because their opinion differs from yours or you don't like them. You may never know that they could have more in common with you than you think.

Fourth punctuation and spelling: At least make an effort to make your posting legible and use good grammar and punctuation. You won't look like a dumb/illiterate/punk and people will take your question more seriously. I am guilty of disregarding threads where punctuation and spelling are poor only because I don't want to wade through the gibberish to determine whats being asked even though the question is probably a valid one. Make an effort at least. There are some guys from other countries than the US that have a better grasp on the english language than a lot of you. While it may seem to be cool to use slang and caps or symbols mixed in with the words, it makes reading the questions and answers very difficult and your thread/post will attract the attention it deserves.

Fifth The younger crowd: It's great to have the teenagers here, but show some respect to others. This goes for some of the adults too. You do not automatically get respect, it is earned and given to you as you show it. Don't expect to gain anyone's respect by name calling, by flaming posts or by giving stupid or antagonistic answers. Incorrect answers are acceptable if you learn from the correct ones. And those that do the correcting need to do it in a manner that teaches rather than is antagonistic. In time you will understand patience and tolerance (by the way everyone needs to learn this).

Sixth The forums in general: What I've seen lately I attribute to the growth of the HQ. It is unfortunate that there are those who have come here lately and not respected the original intent of the HQ. As you all are aware, once the forums become overloaded with trash talking and flames and basic crap, the people that really have things to contribute, and are here because of the information exchange, will leave and find another forum where there is very little of the BS that ruins forums. You all know of forums where this has happened and have left because of it. The HQ has been pretty fortunate until recently to be free of the BS that kills forums and sends people away. On the occasions where problems have occured, Lee has squashed the problem and decorum was restored.

Well if I have any more I'll post it here. But for now, I'll put on my asbestos undies and wait for any responses good or bad. If you disagree with anything I've said dont hesitate to call me on it, but do it in a reasonable fashion otherwise I'll give it the attention it deserves.

Wheatchex

Waiting for the flames to start.

I basically agree w/ you on everything besides the Newbies part: Everyone was a newbie at one time...everybody has to start low and work there way up to a 1/2 knowlegable poster, but the newbies that are on here now are not your typical newbies. It's a few(yes a I said a few) KIDS that are on here and not taking one bit of the forums seriously. The post in the wrong forums, bump 2-3 month old topics for no apparent reason other than to say "bump". I do not think that they should have to use the search for every question but RESEARCH.. do not post about something that has just been posted about 2 days prior. If that topic does not cover your question than you can just add on to it w/ your question. One newbie that comes to mind that is getting a grasp that is going on is "got1banshee"... BTW, he's over 15yrs. old.

Edit: BTW, this is not a flame nor praise... just more of an "extension" of your post.

Mike

I agree. I got tied up with someone recently and it fired me up. It was the first and last time that has happend on the hq and it was because I took it wrong.

Wheatchex, your dead on man. I agree that most of the trouble is the qauntity of people. It only takes a few to to ruin it for everyone.

As far as the repeat questions, they are almost always good. There are many variation to questions also. Some have a specific question that may only have been answered in part somewhere else. Most of the time, different people give unique advice. Either respond positive or move on. That will also help keep the others from getting fired like I did. ;)

wheatie, allways had your back, allways will.

lefty, those words were never close to your mouth :P

rod, i feel the same way and had the same thing happen to me by someone that "claimed" he knew more then i did and called my answer to his question b.s.

i guess theres allways gonna be that "one" in the forums that bring the madness, but latley its been a few. well, later guys.

Amen, Wheatchex. I've been a HQ member for some time now, though my post count doesn't reflect that. I stop by the site 4 or 5 times a week to check-up on things and on some rare occasions even post something if I feel strongly enough about the subject matter or I think I might be able to help someone with a problem (or the occasional "nice bike, man....wish mine looked as nice as that"). I should probably post more than I do and not be such a lurker. The things I've learned from some of the members here, including you Wheat, Fixitrod,Screamin', Benbb and many, many others on here, is invaluable. For example, when I bought my first Banshee a little over a year ago, I knew NOTHING about properly jetting my bike for elevation, temperature, or mods, but many of you helped out, and to this very day I still have the responses from you guys that I printed out and keep in the garage and refer back to from time to time if I start having brainfarts over jetting. Anyways, I don't exactly know where I was going with all of this except to say that I agree with all of your points, Wheat, and let's hope that all of the B.S. that's been going on in the forums as of late, comes to an end soon so that the HQ remains the quality site that it is and one of the best places for BANSHEE RELATED information. Later... ;)

• 3 weeks later...

True, true Wheatchex.

I might add that it helps from time to time to remember that it's US that will make or break the forum...no matter how many chumps come and go, the reason I'm here every day is for all the guys I consider true "friends" even though I've never met them in person (and that shouldn't be taken lightly as I have few that have earned more than acquaintance status). I hate to name names because I don't want to leave anyone out but you Wheatchex, Meat, B370, Fixitrod, NYUK, Lee, Stan, Iridea250r, Dune-a-tic, Boonman, Banchetta, Holyman, Blue Duece and a few others are the ones I can always depend on for a word of advice or a good laugh. New members will either prove their worth or quickly fade into anonomity, but it's the core group of like-minded maniacs like us that make the HQ such a great place to be...

Don't anybody go and get all misty, I'd just as soon tell you guys to bite me, if you deserved it, but I know you wouldn't take it personally :P Sure would be cool if more of you guys could make it to Roostfest '04 B)B)B)B)