It runs, Turn it off after 5-20 mins of riding and no spark? Will not start! WTF?

• 2 weeks later...

Update...tested and working OEM stator and non-messed up flywheel off a 2000 installed.  Started up 1st kick...ran great.  Turned it off.  Went to restart...nope...no spark again.

Process of elimination of all non OEM parts are gone and still have the problem.  CDI is only thing I have not touched.  Was hoping it would be ready for this weekend.  

Kill switch or letting clutch out.  It will act the same with kill switch plugged in or not.  Let sit 20-30 mins fires right up if kicking.  run it under 5 mins it will kick start right back up, longer DOA on spark.

Looking at CDI's now, not sure if I should try a good aftermarket one or stick to OEM. 

Does it surprise me I have a CDI issue?...not totally only because when I got the bike there were some good marks on the voltage regulator from rocks hitting it hard.  I can only imagine if something hit the VR something prob hit the CDI also.  One of the reasons I relocated everything up front in a safer more protected spot.

Owned many bikes built ground up never seen one act like this.  May have been luck. 

Dynatek or new OEM.  I am not sold on the idea of buying a used on working because well 95-96 wiring is already 20 years old...a used one could get me a good ride or two and then crap out on me.  If I go new I should be able to get a good 10+ years I'd hope. 

$360 shipped....it can sit in the corner for a few days right now until I am over being upset with it.

Plenty of banshees in PA. I'm sure if you make friends and load the bike up with a case of beer you can go to someone and test there cdi in your bike

• 1 year later...

I'm on my 3rd stator. They were all used oem. I ride for extended hours and it's a serval motor. I have gone through two motors one was original motor rod bearing went, second was leaned it out on some new reeds I put in. Lived and learned now it's bullet proof. The biggest complaints I have are the fuel mileage, the stators going bad. I was getting closer to wanting to buy a yfz450r but the money to fun ratio didn't seem to be worth it.  A new one is 9000 plus 2000 for pipe, intake, and the programmer just to get it out of the stock 38 hp.  Up in northern Michigan is where I ride and only see a handful of banshees. Some of the trails go through sections of thick sand hills that curve and climb on a steep angle. So much fun to let that 70 hp just show it's true colors and the smile that I have. 

I would hate to spend 500-600 for a new oem stator but that's what it might take to get a guaranteed 5 years of riding out of it. Buying them used is a gamble how much longer they will last... 

diaelectric grease should only be used to prevent water or voltage from leaking out of connection. I would not get any on the actual copper itself as it is an insulator...some do allow some conductance from what I read on here. ..... may want to clean that off and see if that helps some... also a high resistance to your plugs will hurt the cdi I believe.. some guys on here have sooo much knowledge on these things