Right cylinder will not fire

Grason B

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is NOT the way to do it. Might pay to look in the manual for torque values, it's not much, like 7 lbs , tightened diagonally in stages. Might have warped the boot or cage.

I didn't crank them down before the test. As the bubbles were building like crazy, I slowly tightened each bolt to see if the leak would slow down / stop. Ill seal them up and do the test over, if it is still leaking, ill get a new intake boot.

Per that photo I would do the following.

removed reeds and check them if not replace.  New reed gaskets with a light coating of gasket bond on them around the every edges.  New cross over rubber intakes.  If they are over 10 years old they will be dry rotted, new ones are not much.  I would reinstall everything again and then go from there.

Just adding sealer on the outside is not fixing the problem.  I would only do that unless your gonna sell the bike.  if your going to ride it farther then your yard do it right or do not waste the time at all.

Per that photo I would do the following.

removed reeds and check them if not replace.  New reed gaskets with a light coating of gasket bond on them around the every edges.  New cross over rubber intakes.  If they are over 10 years old they will be dry rotted, new ones are not much.  I would reinstall everything again and then go from there.

Just adding sealer on the outside is not fixing the problem.  I would only do that unless your gonna sell the bike.  if your going to ride it farther then your yard do it right or do not waste the time at all.

I just bought another set of intake boots & reed cages from a member here and ill order a new cross over tube as well. Ill pull the boots and cages off real quick to seal them up, I wasn't going to glob it on the outside of the boot because that wont accomplish much, I know better than to do that.

I appreciate the help from everyone

Thanks,

Grason

I stopped at Napa on my way home and picked up some of the permatex 518. I used it on both the reed cages and intake boots, after letting it set up for a while I re did the leak down test. Sure enough, it held 6psi for over 6 mins.

I am really at a loss now, I was hoping to find an issue with it. For the hell of it I tossed the pipes and carbs back on it, fired it up and still running on the left cylinder only.

I would tear the engine down and rebuild it, but I don't know if that will actually fix my problem.

Any more ideas from you pros out there?

Thanks,

Grason

Yep, they appear to be in good shape. I looked them over pretty well when I had them out.

The only other thing I have read that could be an unlikely, but possible issue is the crank being out of phase which would throw the timing off. How likely is that?

You've ruled out most everything besides a leaky head gasket. You could have water in that cylinder.

I don't think its the head gasket, I have checked the coolant level in the radiator numerous times, and its still filled to the top.