Wiring High Wattage Lights

rx7500hpt2

The motor, wiring harness, stator is off an 85 rz350. The stator puts out 225watts ive been told. I used a relay and hooked direct power up to the battery and secondary power to the switch coming from the original lighting wires on the harness. I basically wired it like you would wire some hellas on your truck. The fuse that popes after about 1/2 hour to and hour of the lights being on is the 20amp main fuse coming off the power regulator/rectifyer to the battery.

Did you wire the regulator/rectifier before the battery or after? Your stator puts out AC voltage. You need to change it to DC before it gets to the battery. Your lights should run on AC, but the lights should be running off of the DC from the battery. and you are running about 8.3 amps per light. 16.6 total. I would try a 25 amp fuse, provided the wire you have in there is heavy enough to handle the current?

I'm using the stock regulator and its before the battery. Laserstars directions said to use 12 gauge wire. All my lighting wire is 12g but the regulator has 16 gauge coming out of it on the battery end and the 3 16 gauge wires coming out of the stator end. I was thinking this could be a problem, too much load on the smaller wire and fuse. Are aftermarket regulators expensive?