Is this something to worry about?

When you guys talk about the water jacket having bad casting, are you talking about how the stud isn't centers between the two?

bansn_zpswiclblmo.png

That angle I took of the cylinders installed on the case prolly isn't the best. I was trying to show the difference in height between each cylinders studs. I removed a stud from the right cylinder and could definitely see the threads were not tapped all the way down the hole. Musta been from a different batch of cylinders which makes sense cause I specifically got that cylinder exchanged previously because too much casting flash was left in ports.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't think it would either since there's still a good amount of thread in the cylinder. I kinda thought that they were crooked and that was why the head fit snug. I'm thinking about ordering a head from F.A.S.T. one of the Noss ones with 22cc domes and a set of .020" base gaskets. What size base gasket do you guys usually start with?

Used to have a trinity head. Bike loved it. Stock stroke like 180psi on 110 ran great. Never checked squish.

However, trinity uses proprietary domes and o rings. They also had small and big bore domes

Ditch it and get a chariot or noss.

UPDATE

Received my Noss cool head from F.A.S.T. Washed everything in the sink and started getting ready to assemble. Found out the right side cylinder stud holes are not tapped as far down as the left cylinders holes. That explains the height difference.

So I threw the cylinders back on the bike to test fit the head. Snugged down all 8 cylinder nuts evenly with a wrench. Took the Noss head base and tried dropping it down onto the cylinders. Did not fit smoothly. So then I fit the head base over each cylinder by them selves. Each cylinder's studs lined up with holes in the head base and fit nicely. So the cylinders fit the head when they're apart, But when they're both together mounted on the case the head does not want to slide over studs.

I loosened all the cylinder base mounting nuts till they were just finger tight and head still doesn't want to fit smoothly. I'm sure a few whacks would get it on but I do not want to do that with this brand new head. Looks like I may be sending cylinders back. Any thing else I should check before I do??

56bcd2ac80fae483b4cd5f95781a9568.jpg

Also noticed the center water jackets don't line up that good with the head.

Another issue you can see in picture is the longer studs closest to exhaust ports are too long to let the supplied nuts tighten up. These are stock studs to my knowledge. (Trinity heads use stock studs as well I believe)

53f369a5fea2cfa219afa4774c33f6fc.jpg

b39d3530f8b9cc9781771af963a0d4aa.jpg

ba918044994d57c59eda305db6889c81.jpg

6b8b2e607c7506bca00dbf501c6257d5.jpg

I say it all the time. On machines with individual cylinders, it is SUPER IMPORTANT that you first just drop the cylinders on to the motor without tightening them. Step torque the head to the cylinders, then torque the jugs evenly.

I will try that this evening an see how it fits