Lt250r help

broke400

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ya these old ones r goofy with reeds under head. My machine shop is goin to mill head then i will check compression again and play with fuel a little c what happens i fixed alot of the wiring also. thanks alot I will post results

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Do not mill that head to fix squish with out figuring out the gaskets. You will turn that crank in to shrapnel with more compression.

Are you a mechanic?

I am pretty sure the stock head gasket is supposed to be in the .040 thou range. Can't remember what the base gasket should be. Yet you still have quite high compression with mega squish, and with the compression you are saying it has, that head has gotta already cut well beyond .030-.040. Taking more material off could be disasterous.

I was goin to get the squish rite then check compression if its to high do some chamber work to get it down. Headgasket i took off is .55 pretty thick was goin to start with .20 of head base gasket is about 20 i could just use yamabond and get it down think that mite b better

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

If there isn't any porting, figure out what OEM gasket thickness is. I rebuilt one for a guy not long ago and it was a .040 head gasket for sure. I'll see if I can get a base gasket size on one of the parts receipts. Get the cylinder sitting where it needs to be, then get your measurements. I'd bet the head has been milled, but doubtful that it's been rechambered.

I wouldn't worry so much about the static compression. I would try to figure out what your compression ratio is. I know my stock 125 kicked about 175 psi. I think most 250s are around the same. Banshees seem to have a low static compression compared to other two strokes

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

180psi and .070-.080 gap is pretty typical of most any stock 250 engine. comp ratio is likely 11-12:1. jerry hall knows quit a bit on them suzukis. if i were you i'd probly send the parts to him

Hmm, the LT I did in the summer kicked upper 160's and had about .060 squish on OEM gaskets.

thats why i said typically a 250cc will be in that range. some may be outside that range alittle but probly not by far. the ktm and honda are right in that range. i would bet yamaha and kawi are right there also. your 160 may be a result of a gauge thats slightly off or maybe it really was 160 and thats just how it was back in '86 on that particular engine. hard to say. ive said it a thousand times about static pressure. to me and alot of other people it meens jack shit. the stock 250 engines are low comp ratio even if the static pressure seems otherwise. its still baffling why so many people put such emphasis on what a gauge says

if you want to know what most 250 engines are just stroll through thumper talk. i can tell you the ktm is just a couple thousands under .070 if the piston is at zero deck. i have no use for a compression testing but a million guys have posted their results on thumper talk and a few other sites. 180ish range is about what they are