Diesel Pickup Thread

87sheerips

Fuck, I'd have to buy an ultra light aluminum enclosed trailer for that to happen. No wonder that thing pulls so good. You could probably pull it with Laceys Honda.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

The Jeep has a hitch. I think I'll drive it to LSOK.

1999 24V cummins standard

80K miles

Brother and Father went half on it... paid 8500 off a friend

guess theyl be in the market for at the very least a fuel pressure gauge to keep track of that dreaded lift pump

13148179_10156828026610133_1374988244_o.

P-pump it.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

was reading on that... would cost anywhere from 3-5K to do it all said and done.

a lot of guys have been fine with a airdog kit and monitoring the fuel pressure. If you where driving long distances and didnt want to mess with that bs then yea id say investing that kind of cash would be worthwhile.

from what I gather the issue is the VP44 messes up when the lift pump starts slacking off on fuel pressure due to lack of cooling and lubrication. a new LP and keeping an eye on fuel line pressure and your golden. takes about 30mins to swap out lift pumps from what I read too

You got it figured out

was reading on that...  would cost anywhere from 3-5K to do it all said and done.

a lot of guys have been fine with a airdog kit and monitoring the fuel pressure.    If you where driving long distances and didnt want to mess with that bs then yea id say investing that kind of cash would be worthwhile.

from what I gather the issue is the VP44 messes up when the lift pump starts slacking off on fuel pressure due to lack of cooling and lubrication. a new LP and keeping an eye on fuel line pressure and your golden.  takes about 30mins to swap out lift pumps from what I read too

Just put a carter 4601 back by the tank and get rid of the factor lift pump.  Ive been running the same one for 130 thousand miles now.  And yes fuel pressure monitor is critical imo.

Thats the one.  If placed back by the tank it will work well and last a long time. as you know electric pumps like to push fuel not draw it.  Whoever decided putting the electric lift pump on the motor on these trucks is  a jackass and single handedly ruined lots of lift pumps and consequently vp44s.  Like i said mine now has 130k miles on it and is still going strong.  So here is the deal with the 5th gear nut.  The best fix is to put a fully splined main shaft in it.  The easy and simple fix is just to buy the aftermarket nut which locks in place with set screws and loctite.  If you leave it be and it backs off sometimes you can get away with adding the aftermarket nut but sometimes it will walk back off.  If you put the nut on before it walks off it generally will stay put.  The nv4500 is super simple trans to build so if he waits and it fails its really  easy to build and at that point he could simply buy the mainshaft and new 5th gear which is the way to go anyway.  Its just a matter of trying to prevent a breakdown and a lot of guys like to do the nut because it can be done in the truck whereas a rebuild obviously means removal and down time.