Banshee Transmission Issues

Hey guys, I'm new to banshees but not new to riding/working on quads. I recently picked up a banshee from a bankruptcy auction for $1200 bucks knowing very little about it. Long story short, it runs like a champ after cleaning the carbs out until a couple days ago the transmission locks me out from shifting down. From how it feels I wanna say that it's in 3rd and able to shift to 4th and between the two but cannot shift down past 3rd. I've read online that it could be that the shift star has slipped or something along those lines. What does this sound like to you? Where should I start to fix my problem? Any help to get me headed in the right direction is much appreciated.

Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

So I finally got a chance to tear down the clutch side and found that the shift shaft has quite a bit of side to side movement as in movement from the left side of the quad to the right and moves enough that the claw can miss the shift star. The spring on the claw as well seems to be worn out because neither end is touching a point that would give it tension. Everything else seems to look fine as far as I can tell. Do I need a new spring? whole new shift shaft assembly? I've read about getting the proper adjustment on the shift shaft with the screw but as far as I understand that wouldn't affect the play that I have that is allowing the shift shaft claw to miss the shift star.

Whole new shift shaft. Call up FAST and tell them you're on BHQ and they will mod it before shipping it.

Thanks, Anything else I should replace while I've got the RH case cover off? Is the modded shift star a must as well? I've never had any problems with gears being hard to find or missing them. But I don't have as much experience on a banshee as most people on here. Worth the 40 bucks? Mod it myself? Or not worry about it?

Shift shaft

Eccentric screw

Locking tab behind nut

Modded star

Ez shift with roller. Use stock spring.

Check actuator for pulled rivet. Stretched cable. Warped pressure plate. Warped inner hub. Grooved basket. Worn basket bushings. Pancake bearing. Ceramic ball.Warped steels. Worn fibers.

Shift shaft

Eccentric screw

Locking tab behind nut

Modded star

Ez shift with roller. Use stock spring.

When you say stock spring are you referring to the shift shaft spring? It seems that a lot of people promote the use of a lighter spring for ease of shifting. I'm going to do the Mull shift star and detent arm. I really like the idea of the longer drive pins to keep the claw from slipping off.

Edited by Yamaha21

I used a Mull star with a F.A.S.T. modded shift shaft and they would not clear each other. FAST tweaks the arm so it engages more of the pin and longer pins on the Mull hit on the other edge of the claw (pawl).

Thanks for the insight, so it looks like it's one or the other.

Either, Stock shift shaft with mull shift star

OR

stock (modded grind) shift star with FAST shift shaft.