possible 4 mil build...

i have been reading through the forum all morning trying to figure out what i need to build a 4 mil.

i think if i pull the trigger, it will be a long rod build.

Long rod crank --> http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Yamaha-Banshee-115mm-Long-Rod-Stroker-Crank-4mm-4-mil-4mm-TZ-Bearing-Crankshaft-/201289339693?hash=item2eddc7932d&vxp=mtr

i then need pistons ( i assume if my walls are good i just need stock bore) or i may buy a set of used ones from someone in USA have them ship them to builder in the states to have them honed and measured and ported.

pistons and gasket set should be ---> http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Wiseco-Yamaha-YFZ350-Banshee-64mm-Stroker-Long-Rod-Piston-Gasket-Kit-795M06400-/231606763877?hash=item35ecd6c165&vxp=mtr

domes i would have cut buy the person who ports it.

am i missing other details?

Edited by Power_Man

You can just have a supporting builder port your jugs and you can then buy the top end and supporting mods from them as well. That way you know it will work out best. They can also answer any questions for you if you arr clueless which it seems is the case. When I went 10mil, i stuck with one shop for the entire process. I'm still clueless but my tiny motor is a solid engine that I know will run hard and be reliable.

Edited by RagunCajun

You can just have a supporting builder port your jugs and you can then buy the top end and supporting mods from them as well. That way you know it will work out best. They can also answer any questions for you if you arr clueless which it seems is the case. When I went 10mil, i stuck with one shop for the entire process. I'm still clueless but my tiny motor is a solid engine that I know will run hard and be reliable.

With Canadian dollar taking a crap, and shipping up to Canada from USA expensive i was trying to keep the shipping weight down hoping to buy what i could on my own.

what about other supporting mods like

Modded trans

clutch

carbs

reeds

exhaust

What is your current setup?

Sorry for lack of info.

Mods:

T6 pipes

V-Force 3 reeds

Timing +4

stock carbs

Clutch is from Driveline with the HD springs

Next question, what kind of 4mil are you looking to build? Pump gas, or race gas? Looking for lots of power or just more than you currently have?

I would suggest calling a sponsor and talking to them. Tell them what you have and where you want to go. They can help you meet your needs and also make sure you have everything you need. They probably can source all the parts and ship it all to you at once.

pump gas 92-94 octane.

i would like something between lots of power and more than i have. i want to to be reliable as well as hold on fun.

i just wish we had builders up here, the shipping and exchange rate is what will make or break this.

For every $1000US dollars will cost me $1275 Canadian dollars. so 2grand in parts will cost me 3grand Canadian after exchange and shipping.

so that's why i was just seeing if i had everything thought of. trying to price it all out first. just trying to lay out all my eggs first.

The stock carbs and T6 pipes will hold the engine back. so there is that.

But for the engine, you will need at least the following:

welded and trued crank

pistons

Porting

Most likely bore and hone

Cool head with cut domes

pancake bearing

Modded trans (maybe pro-mod)

gasket/seal kit

How far are you from the border? Might be worth crossing to ship your engine to a builder then picking it up again in the US.

I'm 2 hours. so $20ish dollars in fuel each way. not bad.

OK, that info will give me a base line for what i need to start pricing stuff.

Thank you for your info.

i then need pistons ( i assume if my walls are good i just need stock bore) or i may buy a set of used ones from someone in USA have them ship them to builder in the states to have them honed and measured and ported.

This is where most people mess up.  It would be easiest to send it to a builder with the understanding that you know that it may need a bore, so you're good on the idea.  Ordering a size up may or may not be necessary.  The bore needs to be matched to the pistons, which is best done in a shop where they already have the pistons you'll likely need in stock. 

The alternative is to send it to someone and have them gauge and mic them, order pistons, then take it back to them. 

All in all, it costs most people $450 ish to ship and engine AND pay for teardown and assembly.  That gets you nice little things like assurance, reliability, fewer headaches, time to do other thigns, and a direction to point a finger if ever need be.  Of course, that's only if you choose a good shop.

Ya so he can try to sell you this shit

http://logicia.biz/airturbo01/piece_en.html

Power_man, other thing you might want to look into is upgrade other parts of the engine.

Such as billet basket, lock up and clutch cover, billet impeller, detent arm bearing, and other things.

Make a list of everything you want to do and price it out. Check out other 4 mil builds on here to get an idea of what you would like.

Dont knkw about that page, i follow him on fb. But unlike you, i do know that he built good banshee engine, i know a couples of guys who race with his engine and won, so, stop talking shit about someone you dont know.

So Powerman, you have the choice to give money to an usa builder or someone neer you. Just give him a call.

Edited by Glorfindel

Air turbo is shit for sure.

But i still saw his engine won, did you? You google a name and 'talk' to someone on fb (if it's even true) and you know it all!

Arsene or Arsen, is an abreviation of Arseneault, you will probably give me lesson about french too? Lol!

You know, usa is not the center of the world. I don't think a racing shop from Canada can compete, price wise, with usa shop, for usa custumers, so why would he sponsor this site?

I know that you think that a banshee is a magical thing, and only a few chosen one can make them work, but i don't.

Anyway Powerman, i suggest you to give him a call and get a quote to see if he can compete with the magical sponsor of banshee hq.

Ya so he can try to sell you this shit

http://logicia.biz/airturbo01/piece_en.html/quote]

Actually, if you look really hard on other forums you will see that Thacker has tested that thing on a 10mm cheetah that he was determined to keep the air box on. The thing actually worked much better over that stock part in the air box.

Air turbo is shit for sure.

But i still saw his engine won, did you? You google a name and 'talk' to someone on fb (if it's even true) and you know it all!

Arsene or Arsen, is an abreviation of Arseneault, you will probably give me lesson about french too? Lol!

You know, usa is not the center of the world. I don't think a racing shop from Canada can compete, price wise, with usa shop, for usa custumers, so why would he sponsor this site?

I know that you think that a banshee is a magical thing, and only a few chosen one can make them work, but i don't.

Anyway Powerman, i suggest you to give him a call and get a quote to see if he can compete with the magical sponsor of banshee hq.

There's a bit of ignorance in this post.  People send these engines from all over the world to the builders in the US.  That isn't because it's the US, it's because that's where the highest concentration of good builders happen to be located.  It's on the verge of coincodental.  How many builders can you find outside the US that compete with what has been proven here?  There are bound to be a few, but not many.

Talking to someone on facebook is not what most would quantify as experience, nor is it where the majority of users here get their opinions and experience.  On the other hand, if I see 20 people say the same exact thing about one product and all things are considered, I'm going to lean toward their opinion and find the basis for their claims. 

Also, this site isn't a dedicated USA Banshee site.  There are a decent amount of people from all over that make significant contributions.

Furthermore, the Banshee can be made to work by an idiot and enough time.  If you want to make it work very well and do so for an extended period of time, it takes experience.  The US is the speed capital of the world until you start talking about Japanese cars, in which case Japan and Australia king.  You think that because you came on here and told everyone that US builders aren't doing things properly is going to revolutionize a decade old culmination of knowledge and experience?  It isn't.  If there are other good builders, we know about them already OR they're so new that we haven't heard about them yet simply because they're so new, in which case they're likely not that good.

That isn't to say that there isn't a good builder that isn't a sponsor or isn't recommended by this page, only that there are likely to be significant issues.

It's easy enough to say builder X is known to be good, go with them.  At that point, it isn't a wager on whether you'll get an engine back AND whether it's going to last, AND whether it's going to be fast.

As far as the Air Turbo or whatever it is, Thacker did show that it was superior to the factory unit from what I can recall. Glorfindel, maybe you can elaborate on why it is "shit."  I'm not saying whether it is or isn't because I didn't do the research, nor am I interested in it, but "Air turbo is shit for sure" doesn't stand on it's own enough to hold water.

Edited by tfaith08

Why would someone quote Thacker as a credible source? Nothing personal against the guy (as a person) ,,,but his ideas /theories on engine building are laughable at best.

Like I said, he's not a bad dude, just mislead. I tried to help him see the light on a few topics privately, with zero success.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

• Like 1