Good all around rifle recommendation

sprinklerman

Very nice thanks.

I'm still calling b.s. on $100 spam cans tho. Lol

Sent from my LG-D850

I bought 200rds from a buddy's dad. Surplus he said he got for %100. I asked him the other day where he got it..... "Fuck that was 10 years ago!" And I bought my Mosin for $185 from a guy in Brookland AR.

I still say get a 22/250

I don't know about his state, but many won't allow you to game hunt with a .22 caliber round.

Phil,

Ruger, Remington, Winchester........ Any of those 3 will provide you with a quality rifle. Savages are fucking junk I don't care what anyone says! They are cheap for a reason! My choice would be a Ruger M77 mk2. Steer clear of the "american" series.

Caliber. .243 is a great round but it would be a bit light for something larger.

.270 and 30.06 would provide great all around performance and is easy to get. If you're not going to shoot anything much larger than a big deer than the 243 is a good choice. You're .308 idea is fine as well and would allow you to shoot some larger game.

I don't know about his state, but many won't allow you to game hunt with a .22 caliber round.

Phil,

Ruger, Remington, Winchester........ Any of those 3 will provide you with a quality rifle. Savages are fucking junk I don't care what anyone says! They are cheap for a reason! My choice would be a Ruger M77 mk2. Steer clear of the "american" series.

Caliber. .243 is a great round but it would be a bit light for something larger.

.270 and 30.06 would provide great all around performance and is easy to get. If you're not going to shoot anything much larger than a big deer than the 243 is a good choice. You're .308 idea is fine as well and would allow you to shoot some larger game.

Thanks man.

Yes,deer would be the largest game I'd ever shoot at here. I doubt I'd ever get a shot over 200yds.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

Thanks man.

Yes,deer would be the largest game I'd ever shoot at here. I doubt I'd ever get a shot over 200yds.

My .30-06 will lay em down at 200 yards. Never had a shot where I hunt over 200 yards.

I dont recall seeing cheaper than .223/5.56 and 7.62x39. I shoot those all day. Steel case. Its sad how it's cheaper to shot than my pistols.

Check out the m&p 15 at Walmart. Throw on a decent scope and reach out to 1-200 yards and have fun.

Edited by RagunCajun

Phil, most ammo is easy to find if you got a cabelas, gander mtn, bass pro shop or other major sporting goods store near you.    I wanted a low recoil round that performed well at longer range.  The 6.5 CM has the recoil of a .243 and BCE of a .300 WM.  It not hard to find ammo for it.     My point was.. Research the round that best fits what your looking to do and go with that.  Ammo is easy to find when you know what your looking for.  I'll agree with Green on the Ruger rifles.  I really like my hawkeye.   The Savage Axis rifles are cheap (similar to Ruger american).. and you get what you pay for.  Best bang for the buck IMO is the T/C venture if you dont mind synthetic stocks.   As far as the round of choice.  the .308 is tuff to beat. Its hands down the most versatile round.  Moderate recoil, great ballistics and the factory ammo options are endless.  My 2nd choice would be the .270 win.  The 30-06 is nice, I just feel its a bit heavy on the recoil for what your looking to do with it. I would stay clear of the Mag's..  ammo is priced much higher and not practical for a do all rifle.    

Phil, most ammo is easy to find if you got a cabelas, gander mtn, bass pro shop or other major sporting goods store near you. I wanted a low recoil round that performed well at longer range. The 6.5 CM has the recoil of a .243 and BCE of a .300 WM. It not hard to find ammo for it. My point was.. Research the round that best fits what your looking to do and go with that. Ammo is easy to find when you know what your looking for. I'll agree with Green on the Ruger rifles. I really like my hawkeye. The Savage Axis rifles are cheap (similar to Ruger american).. and you get what you pay for. Best bang for the buck IMO is the T/C venture if you dont mind synthetic stocks. As far as the round of choice. the .308 is tuff to beat. Its hands down the most versatile round. Moderate recoil, great ballistics and the factory ammo options are endless. My 2nd choice would be the .270 win. The 30-06 is nice, I just feel its a bit heavy on the recoil for what your looking to do with it. I would stay clear of the Mag's.. ammo is priced much higher and not practical for a do all rifle.

Just checked out the TC Venture . Looks like a good bang for the buck gun. I'm definitely putting them on my "check them out in person list". Would you recommend the compact or std?

Just checked out the TC Venture . Looks like a good bang for the buck gun. I'm definitely putting them on my "check them out in person list". Would you recommend the compact or std?

Go with the standard.  The compact is a youth gun.  It has shorter stock length and comes with spacers to increase the stock length as the shooter grows.  I bought the compact for my 10yo son chambered in a 7mm-08.  T/C was bought by smith and wesson about 5yrs ago or so.  They renovated their facility and moved the manufacturing of the T/C rifles in.   I actually had a T/C Icon 6.5 on order during this process.  2 yrs after being on order I cancelled and bought a ruger hawkeye.   The T/C seems to be the better quality rifle as far as feel goes.   I paid 325.00 for the T/C venture compact and 800.00 on the ruger hawkeye.   

Another brand to look at would be the weatherby Vanguard.  Its built by howa (Japan) to weatherby specs.   Both the Vanguard and T/C are guaranteed sub MOA. The vanguard even comes with a target sheet from the factory. I own a couple of the vanguards too.  I like them a lot.  I still feel the T/C quality is better.  the only complaint I have on the T/C is the synthetic stocks.  I'm a fan of wood and laminate.  Purely cosmetic reason.  The rubber inlays on the T/C feels comfortable and gives a solid grip.  So I like the function.. just not the looks. lol

I like the claims that internet/magazine orders is somehow now classified as "easily to find". This has always existed. The idea is to have common calibers that you dont NEED to use the internet/magazines to order. Yes, obvious but you may not know it from reading some of these responses.

To the Walmart call outs, yeah its a terrible store. It's a great reference though as pricing is consistent across stores/states and they stock... common ammo.

I like Bi-Mart but its a NW thing.

Wal-mart ammo is junk and inconsistent.   You dont walk into a sporting goods store to buy eggs and milk.. why would you do the same for ammo?  

who said anything about internet/magazine order?  

Its like having port work done by a dealer..  Just because they can/do  dont mean they should.