Good all around rifle recommendation

sprinklerman

Whatever you do don't get an oddball caliber for your first gun. They cost to much to shoot and you will want to be shooting it a lot at first.

If you want to someday use it for hunting, get a bolt action. If you want to go shooting with friends and just generally shoot at stuff, get a semi auto.

I'd say Winchester Model 70 in

1. .30 06. The caliber has been around 100 years, tons and tons of surplus. The loads/grains are all dialed in for best performance. Hits really hard for the package.

2. .308 Sane as above. Tried and true and everywhere. Advantage is getting a rifle that will shoot 7.62x51mm NATO and .308 and you can get surplus deals on the NATO round all day.

.243 Winchester. Again, you can buy this at walmart, try to find 6.8 SPC or 6.5 creedmoor at walmart. .243 hits really hard for a smaller caliber round. Its great on deer and shoots really flat.

Otherwise get a AR-15 in 5.56/.223 or a AR-10 in 7.62x51/.308 if you want to go plink with friends.

Yeah! I had a 1941 Numbers matching Russian model with the cleaning kit. Think I gave $185 back in the winter. Loud sumbitch! The real bitch of it is the corrosive powder. Ammo is cheap online. Get 1000rd spam can for $100. Archangel makes a wild tactical stock for em.

What about a Mosin-Nagant?

You can buy the gun for under $200. Buy tins of ammo (7.62x54R) for cheap.

The gun is fun to fuck around on.

Show me where to buy a mosin for under $200. (kind of being a smartass but if you really have a link, I'll buy one now)

For home defenseand plinking , I like aks.

Sent from my LG-D850

Edited by Lowflyin

Yeah! I had a 1941 Numbers matching Russian model with the cleaning kit. Think I gave $185 back in the winter. Loud sumbitch! The real bitch of it is the corrosive powder. Ammo is cheap online. Get 1000rd spam can for $100. Archangel makes a wild tactical stock for em.

Where are the $100 spam cans also. I only see x54r for .23c a round.

Sent from my LG-D850

7mm rem mag or .300 win mag. Ammo is plentiful and reasonably cheap and either one will kill anything in North america. Savage is hard to beat for price and out of the box accuracy.

I'll make you a deal on a .338 edge if you want to shoot distance.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I'll even load up some rounds for him lol. I've got a couple hundred 300 gr berger hybrids and about 150 pieces of brass.

I was serious about a 7mm or 300, if I was starting from scratch I'd probably get the 7mm.

.243 is a nice round, low recoil and fairly cheap to shoot. A lot of the entry level packages are decent to start with, I bought my dad a Wal mart savage .243 with a weaver scope on it for $349 brand new. Shoots great.