DC conversion questions

The factory stator has 2 leads, one yellow and one black. His has 3 due to the fact that the floated ground is what creates the 3rd wire.

The factory black wire links to all the ground wires in the banshees wiring harness which ultimately grounds to the frame.

From the couple of DC wiring diagrams I've seen, it appears that the factory black wire off the stator remains plugged in its normal location, plugged into wiring harness, hence grounded to frame

I think whats confusing "i think" where he said keep factory ground on frame its just the wire on the screw on the stator that comes out ( black i think) and  has nothing to do with  lighting. the ground ( 2nd 1/2 of a.c. for lights) for lighting is the new one you extended , from the wire that was soldered to stator base

He could have left that off of drawing & it would  Have made more sense. ( that ground is there but  has nothing to do with your floating mod) Also this all might be overkill, since youve got a factory stator & not a 200w like him, relay that is

The wire you're referring to off the stator is indeed black. Where it plugs into on the wiring harness is a black wire and plug lead. Ive tested this wire and it has continuity with ALL the black (ground wires) in the harness, meaning they are connected at some point or another. This can be verifird at looking at a wiring diamgram too. 

But since that factory black wire off the stator is grounded to the frame, the floated ground is ANOTHER ground, but it is not grounded since it'll always be connected to either of the yellow wires off the reg/rect.

What that yellow wire off the reg/rect does with the connected "floated ground" is beyond me. Maybe someone will chime in with a definitive answer?

1 hour ago, 375hp banshees said:

What year is your stator...I'm not sure of colors (yb depending on year)but iirc you only  " had"  one coming out of stator, the other one "was" connected to stator base , until you removed it & floated out to the reg/rec the others don't have any thing to do with lights

I have a early 1987 stator with round plugs it has 2 wires off it yellow and black. Not including the bundle of wires going into the plug of course.

All oem stators got the 2 seperate wires off them. Yellow and black wires. Even the newer models.

I also have an aftermarket race tech 200w stator. It has the 2 yellow and black wire as well.

The wire you're referring to off the stator is indeed black. Where it plugs into on the wiring harness is a black wire and plug lead. Ive tested this wire and it has continuity with ALL the black (ground wires) in the harness, meaning they are connected at some point or another. This can be verifird at looking at a wiring diamgram too. 
But since that factory black wire off the stator is grounded to the frame, the floated ground is ANOTHER ground, but it is not grounded since it'll always be connected to either of the yellow wires off the reg/rect.
What that yellow wire off the reg/rect does with the connected "floated ground" is beyond me. Maybe someone will chime in with a definitive answer?
Its the other 1/2 of a. c. Circuit. Before it completed by connecting to the frame. Now it's completed @ battery (-) via reg/rec and other1/2 is now completed @ bat (+) via reg/rec

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk