Coolant Overflow level dropping, can't find leak

Howdy BansheeHQ. Long-time lurker, first-time poster. 

I used to own a '96 Banshee, which I loved for several years. Sold due to finances, and regretted ever since.

So few weeks ago I finally put enough cash together to buy myself another banshee.

Anyway, I think I may have a coolant-related issue. Took her out for the first time, after changing trans oil, topping-off coolant ("Full" line in reservoir, and checked rad), lubed chain, cleaned and oiled air filter, and synced carbs (mechanic did that for me).

2004 LE, 99% stock. Pro-line air filter with stock airbox, reservoir in place. 

After about 20 minutes of light-medium riding on a 85 degree day, I noticed something spitting out and dribbling onto my front headers.

Could not see where it was coming from, although I noticed the tube coming out of the gas cap looked wet. After riding for about 2.5-3 hours, I packed it up and went home. As I secured the banshee to my trailer, I noticed the reservoir coolant level had dropped from right at the "Full" line, to about 1/3 the way down to "Low" line.

So, naturally I started browsing the bansheehq forums for an answer.

Here's what I found, and checked so far:

- Opened Rad cap, kicked motor. Didn't spit out coolant, or notice any bubbles.

- Head bolts are tight

- No obvious wetness, or leaking from the head gasket (visual inspection only)

- Started, and Ran the banshee for 15 minutes. Revving to mid-throttle, etc. 

Radiator got hot enough to smoke the remaining moisture off, from when I washed the quad earlier.

No LEaks...

- Squeezed coolant hoses, and tightened hose clamps, to check for cracks, etc.

I did notice and identify a header-to-engine exhaust leak. Already ordered FMF o-ring and spring kit.

Any suggestions?

Anyone live in the NY/NJ area, who would be willing to help me out?

Thanks!

Edited by dttuner

Possible bad head gasket. I just went through the same thing. I did away with my coolant resevoir so it was very easy to tell when there was too much pressure in the system. Mine never did it at idle or when revving either, only under a decent pull. Check your plugs for moisture on the end

• Like 1

Did you check your water pump...take the cover off and look maybe a bad impeller or gear

That was my kind-next thought. But since it requires draining coolant, I was trying for any external/superficial troubleshooting first.

Already have a spare water pump gasket, and EngineIce coolant is on the way.

Might have to bite the bullet, buy a metal impeller, and check the pump (and replace it while I'm there regardless).

where in the ny/nj area are you? im in central nj

Northern NJ, near Paramus. 

I can come down during the weekend. I'm hoping to make a run to the Pine Barrens some day soon.

Never been, but always wanted to ride the sand dunes.

Check your plugs for moisture on the end

What would this look like? Do I have to do the "run it hard through all 6 gears, then kill engine" routine?

Problem is, where I store the banshee, I can't run it on the street. Will get arrested in 3.47 seconds.

I'd have to trailer it somewhere safe to ride, and do all my testing there.

Sounds like you answered your own question to me.

got warm n spit some out, then when it cooled down it sucked it out of the overflow tank

Is this good, bad, normal? I do a good bit of wrenching on my own cars, and coolant dropping 30% after 3 hours is BAAAAD medicine.

That was my kind-next thought. But since it requires draining coolant, I was trying for any external/superficial troubleshooting first.

Already have a spare water pump gasket, and EngineIce coolant is on the way.

Might have to bite the bullet, buy a metal impeller, and check the pump (and replace it while I'm there regardless).

As sheerider said to me before get a mull engineered billet impellar and gear....mull makes the shaft a little larger to prevent failure is how i took it...but id check your gear it might be bad and wont spin or could be worn and no spin enough...just some other thoughts

As sheerider said to me before get a mull engineered billet impellar and gear....mull makes the shaft a little larger to prevent failure is how i took it...but id check your gear it might be bad and wont spin or could be worn and no spin enough...just some other thoughts

So from what I've read and understand, a crap OEM impeller could be broken/melted, which would in-turn cause some over-heating, or hot-spots in the engine.

Do you think my symptoms reflect an overheating engine?

Why would I see wetness from the gas cap tube-thingy? Some kind of back-pressure into the gas tank from the heat?

edit - Do you have a good link for the Mull impeller/shaft/gear?

Edited by dttuner

What would this look like? Do I have to do the "run it hard through all 6 gears, then kill engine" routine?

Problem is, where I store the banshee, I can't run it on the street. Will get arrested in 3.47 seconds.

I'd have to trailer it somewhere safe to ride, and do all my testing there.

Arrested in under 4 seconds? Men do what they want, boys do what they can.........now go rip that fucker down street lol.

sent from yo mammy house

So from what I've read and understand, a crap OEM impeller could be broken/melted, which would in-turn cause some over-heating, or hot-spots in the engine.

Do you think my symptoms reflect an overheating engine?

Why would I see wetness from the gas cap tube-thingy? Some kind of back-pressure into the gas tank from the heat?

How long is your gas breather? I re ran all my trans and coolant lines to come out the side of tank cover so i can watch my trans and coolant just in case....but there is breather hose that comes up and sits in the gold holding brack where your throttle cable comes down might have just gor some after spray on it but im not too sure without seeing

I ve never had a impeller fail, but I would imagine if it had failed, your radiator would not get hot as you said it did to steam off moisture from you washing it

Sorry, Im confused. You're saying steam from the radiator should NOT happen, and it might indicate a bad impeller and/or heat issue?