newbie intro, dummy questions

Im only home on weekends, and i get impatient waiting on the mail. If i can find someone in my area that keeps banshee stuff I'll get it local. If not, I'll order them. I want to get the next couple sizes bigger, mains, one size above and below my pilots, chop a couple plugs and do some testing. Where ya from, sheester? I might do that

I'm going to try 27.5 pilots, the stock 25s leave a rough idle. I don't know what the clips are set at, but i don't have any mid to full throttle issues, so i wasn't too inclined to screw with them. After a thorough carb cleaning, it runs much better and almost idles. Compression test and leak down test are in order, time is gold right now. I get home from work at nine on Friday, and leave Sunday afternoon.

Im only home on weekends, and i get impatient waiting on the mail. If i can find someone in my area that keeps banshee stuff I'll get it local. If not, I'll order them. I want to get the next couple sizes bigger, mains, one size above and below my pilots, chop a couple plugs and do some testing. Where ya from, sheester? I might do that

Im in ohio...but i would get 270 to 310 mains if your not ported

The 280s run flawlessly at wot, i haven't done a plug chop to verify though. I need to get the needle/seat replaced on the right carb before i can get a fair analysis. The wife is picking up my carb clamps (yes, they were missing. imagine explaining to a dealer retard that Yamaha fucked up with the tors, and most people went back to the old style) tomorrow, she's getting new plugs for me as well.

Good idea. I'm going to get the idle in order and low throttle response suited before i go wrecking plugs to verify what I've tuned by feel for years. Not being a smart ass, just saying why hack a plug when you're certain it's not right. I've tinkered with engines my whole life, made a living at it for seven years, just got bored. climbing trees with chain saws is way more interesting :-), and the money is much better

Edited by threequarterthrottle

A plug chop is used to make sure the main jet is right...as im sure you know....but i ride hard 3/4 to WOT most the time so i cant afford to be lean...shit gets to expensive for my small pockets lol but extra plugs never hurts......can get a 10 pack on ebay for like 21 bucks :)

While I'm asking dummy questions: which is better, gutted air box or filter pods? And at what point do i start questioning the flow capabilities of stock carbs? I'm thinking about a trail port and fresh top end this winter, reseal the bottom end and hope it's all fine inside. I've also seen people selling timing advance keys for the flywheel, claiming big power gains. I want to be able to run 93 comfortably. Damn i need that clymers manual, some engine specs would probably answer half my questions

If you ride trails and theres any kind of water holes or cricks i wouldnt run pods IMO. But being trail ported and +4 timing just depends on compression....but ic you have a cool head get some custom domes cut to run pump and then....Tahhhdahhhh mean as shee...and i think 28mm or 33pwks would be good carbs(personally havnt ran either just read up on em)i would assume

Stock carbs are capable of far more than your going pull out of it. That is if your only trail porting and adding 4* of timing.

Buy a timing plate. Degree keys scare me

2nd edit: pods are the way to go. I have had mine caked in mud and drove thru shallow creeks. Just take your time in the water. One of the Zillas on here has a picture of his bike with pods and it's real muddy. Hunt that pic down to give you an idea of what pods can handle, if taken proper care of.

• 2 weeks later...

Carb issues resolved, New issues arrive. New needle and seat resolved my leak, had her idling fine and running like a top. Now, every time it gets warm (not hot, like a quarter mile away from the garage) my spark dies. I guess I'm gonna spend my pod money on a stator, wiring and switches checked okay. Some day I may get to ride this jewel.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk