Bearing

Just got this HOT ROD 4mil CRANK about 3weeks ago and the stator side bearing is shot. When split the case all of the other bearing were all oiled up. When I did the 4mil build my stock crank stator side bearing was shot to when I took it out. Can anyone help me. Thanks guys.

So your motor toasted the outer stator side bearing on 2 different set ups? Hmm, first I'd look in to the cases and look for wear along the bearing surfaces. Check seals & gaskets and see if there's something on the mating surfaces as well.

I might be of some help here being a bearing guy.  Might be easier to just email me. 

First thing to do is determine how the bearings failed?  Exploded?  melted?  Those types of bearings fail usually for 3 different reasons assuming you stay within engineered margins.  That is FOD (foreign object damage), too much axial force, roundness. 

If you are getting something in the bearing, the balls will be very dull looking with damage in the races.  Axial force will show in the races as hot on the axial contact points.  Roundness is a BIG deal and commonly overlooked.  Both the inner shaft and outer race housing must have roundness and size to the spec of the bearing.  Otherwise heat buildup will kill it.  Imagine those balls having to constantly squash and deform to an irregular race clearance.  This is similar to a tire....flattens out on the bottom where it makes contact. 

The right thing to do is clamp up the cases to torque spec and have a machine shop check the bore diameters for size and roundness.  The half ass way is to clamp just that one bearing in the race and spin it to see if it feels right.  I have seen perfect bearings destroyed in seconds because the race housing is out of round.  They will make noise too. 

You may have oiling issues too that will cause heating.  Examine the oiling holes and path. 

Brandon

Mull Engineering